Her legs were rubbery.

Hi! I'd like to know the meaning of the underlined sentence in a novel, Pelican Brief and how it has come to have the meaning.
    --------------------
    Question 1
    Run! Her heart pounded like a drum. Run! She tried to control her bereathing, but she was battling hyperventilation. Her legs were rubbery. Run!

Question 2
    She removed the forearm from her eyes and gently massaged both temples, " I'm sorry I cried." He finished the beer with a long drink. "You earned the right." She was in tears when she steppped off the elevator. He was waiting like an expectant father, except he had a .38 in his coat pocket.

--------------------------
    I'd appreciate your help!

Re: Her legs were rubbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightsun View Post
    Hi! I'd like to know the meaning of the underlined sentence in a novel, Pelican Brief and how it has come to have the meaning.
    --------------------
    Question 1
    Run! Her heart pounded like a drum. Run! She tried to control her bereathing, but she was battling hyperventilation. Her legs were rubbery. Run!

It means her legs felt weak, like rubber, all wobbly and not fit for running.

Question 2
    She removed the forearm from her eyes and gently massaged both temples, " I'm sorry I cried." He finished the beer with a long drink. "You earned the right." She was in tears when she steppped off the elevator. He was waiting like an expectant father, except he had a .38 in his coat pocket.

What page are you on, Brightsun? It's been a long while since I read that novel. Hasn't she by now gone thru a great deal of mental anguish, not to mention personal danger. So he thinks she's earned the right to a good cry.

--------------------------
    I'd appreciate your help!
    ##

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Her legs were rubbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightsun View Post
    --------------------
    Question 1
    If a person gets extremely frightened or nervous, where they feel that they don't have the strength to stand upright, we say that their legs turned to rubber, or their legs were rubbery. For example, suppose you are afraid of heights, and a friend convinces you to go to the top of the Empire State Building. You look down over the railing and realize how high up you are, and suddenly your legs turn to rubber.
    It basically means that you're almost ready to faint, and your legs are no longer strong enough to support you.
    Question 2
    The character is apologizing for some behavior that is perfectly understandable under the circumstances. For example, suppose that you've been taking care of your elderly grandmother for several years. She is bedridden and can be difficult, but you love her and continue to tend to her without complaint. Nevertheless, stress builds up inside of you, and then one day your friend is visiting you and accidentally spills her glass of wine during lunch. You explode in a fit of temper, yelling at her that she's careless and she just sits there and expects you to clean up. Suddenly you realize you're being unreasonable, and apologize to her. She hugs you and says, "It's OK, you've earned it."