1. Unregistered

Smile eap-esp

can u explain me the difference between esp and eap pls?

Re: eap-esp

Without more context, the possibilities are endless. Please be more precise.

dear anglika,
    I want the definitions of it actually.They are similar to each other.what is included in esp and eap courses.Can you give me some examples?(e.g a medicine student may read a text on cancer as esp I guess but what about eap?)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Hello T74

Do you mean "English for Specific Purposes" and "English for Academic Purposes"?

MrP

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Quote Originally Posted by teacher1974 View Post
    dear anglika,
    I want the definitions of it actually.They are similar to each other.what is included in esp and eap courses.Can you give me some examples?(e.g a medicine student may read a text on cancer as esp I guess but what about eap?)
    EAP Is part of ESP

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by teacher1974 View Post
    dear anglika,
    If a doctor reads a text, thet would be ESP, but if a medicine student read it for their studies, it would be EAP.

The question you post is difficult to answer. Teachers and researchers in the area are still trying to establish the differences among these two approaches.
    In my point of view, the difference strives in that EAP involves teaching students how to manage themselves in the academic world. It involves tasks and language skills that will help students study, research, attend and understand conferences, write academic papers, read journal, etc.
    Whereas ESP is devoted to teach students vocabulary and linguistic structures specific to one area of study: medicine, business, sciences, among others.
    For more information please visit the following site: English for Specific Purposes: What does it mean? Why is it different?. English for Specific Purposes: What does it mean