• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

meaning of last sentence

A Japanese proverb says, "Learn from the faults of others." If we observe the negative behaviour of another, we must not criticise that persons's weak points. Rather, we must make sure that we are not making the same mistakes ourselves. Those who criticise the people around them but fail to take responsible action must work on their own growth.

Could someone please explain to me what the last sentence means in relation to the context?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: meaning of last sentence

Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    A Japanese proverb says, "Learn from the faults of others." If we observe the negative behaviour of another, we must not criticise that persons's weak points. Rather, we must make sure that we are not making the same mistakes ourselves. Those who criticise the people around them but fail to take responsible action must work on their own growth.

Could someone please explain to me what the last sentence means in relation to the context?
    1. Holden said teachers encourage students to focus on their own growth and not to become overly concerned with how they compare to the group averages

2. teachers use it as a mirror to focus on their own growth. When teachers feel comfortable. and trusting they often become more realistic about their teaching

3. But parents who are working on their own growth are in a good position to understand teenagers and to respect what they are doing in the struggle to grow up

I would encourage you to use the INTERNET to find answers if you don't get any reply from the forum. What you do is to type in the phrase in Google and you will have lots of sentences in which this phrase is used and by reading the phrases, you probably will get a sense of what the phrase means, just like what I did a moment ago to search for the meaning of ON THEIR OWN GROWTH. Do you think the sentences are helpful?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Hi, ian, well put and nice illustrations, but would you like to paraphrase the last sentence? I think many people are as intrigued as I am.

Those who criticise the people around them but fail to take responsible action must work on their own growth.

There is a very old saying that matches this -
    first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.Essentially, over-critical people should consider their own behaviour/attitude before criticising others.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Thanks, Anglika, for the lucid reply.