2. to chase after sb

All the best

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: to chace sb/to chase after sb

Quote Originally Posted by 1364 View Post
    1. to chace sb
    2. to chase after sb

All the best

Once again, I must warn people about the widespread use of abbreviations. Spell out words completely, especially when you're interested in being well-understood. Not everyone knows what your abbreviations mean, and when you use non-standard abbreviations, it's even more confusing.

(For those who don't know what the 'sb' means, it's short for 'somebody'.)

These phrases can be used interchangeably. I stress the word 'can' because as with many rules, there are always exceptions.

1. To chase someone is very literal; it means what it says. "The police officers chased the suspect for two blocks before catching her."
    It can, however, be used in a figurative sense, such as; "If Lloyd doesn't want to sign the papers, I'm not going to chase him all over town."

2. To chase after someone is more figurative, but in certain applications, it can be literal: "Karen forgot her keys! See if you can chase after her before she gets to far away!"
    "I chased after Jenny for a month before she agreed to go out with me."
    "Those bill collectors will chase after you forever if you don't at least talk to them."

P.S. You wrote: hi there, is there any differences between :

(I can't resist.)

You should have written, "Hi there. Are there any differences between:

1) All sentences in English always begin with a capital letter. There are NO exceptions to this rule.

2) Because 'differences' is a plural noun, you should use the word 'are' instead of 'is'. If, however, you insist on using 'is', then you should have written, "Is there any difference between:" (Notice the singular word, 'difference'.)

3) There aren't supposed to be any spaces between the last charcater and the colon. Spaces follow punctuation, but they usually do not precede it. (Opening quotation marks and opening parenthesis are two exceptions.)
    Last edited by Ayuda-Tulong; 15-Feb-2007 at 01:43.