better said

Is it correct to use "better said" for "it is better to say"?

E.g. The city (better said "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.

I know the sentence doesn't make much sense... Anyway, I want you to comment the usage of better said. Do you use it at all? Or is it completely incorrect?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: better said

The city (better called as a "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    The city (better called as a "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.
    I've never met 'better called as'. Perhaps you're thinking of 'better known as' - but that doesn't fit this context. It introduces a more common name: 'The syringa vulgaris, better known as 'lilac'...'.

I'd say The city (or rather "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

The city (which is bettter called/described/referred to as "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.

------------------------
    I try not to change the base sentence as much as possible, but my favorite version is as follows:

The place where I live is wonderful; it's described as a small town as there are only a small number of inhabitatants living there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    The city (which is bettter called/described/referred to as "town" as there are only xxx inhabitants here) where I live is wonderful.

------------------------
    I try not to change the base sentence as much as possible, but my favorite version is as follows:

The place where I live is wonderful; it's described as a small town as there are only a small number of inhabitatants living there.

That version's better. But remember:

'better called a town' - no as
    'better described as a town'
    'better referred to as a town'

b

Thank you for your replies very much (or Thank you very much fot your replies?? Which one should I use?).

Well, "better said", as you said, shouldn't be used there. But could you ever use it somewhere? Could you think out a sentence in which you could use it? Does such a "phrase" exist at all?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Thank you for your replies very much (or Thank you very much fot your replies?? Which one should I use?).
    The second.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Well, "better said", as you said, shouldn't be used there. But could you ever use it somewhere? Could you think out a sentence in which you could use it? Does such a "phrase" exist at all?
    Not easy, but possible (though it doesn't mean 'having a more appropriate meaning')

[Someone enters an argument on the side of someone else who is feeling the need for some support, who says:]
    'Well said!'
    'It would have been better said if I'd pointed out the latent hypocrisy of the other side.'

In other words, I don't think 'better said' works as a collocation unless the previous turn in the conversation used the phrase 'well said'.

b

Thanks a lot, Bob.

By the way, as to the sentences "Thank you for your replies very much" and "Thank you very much for your replies.", the second one seems to me to be right too, but I don't know why.
    Could you explain why? Why is the object "for replies" used after the adverbial "much"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

AFAIK (I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule for this - I just don't know it) the main thing is the collocation 'thank you very much': verb, obj and adverb phrase go together. The only case I can think of where the 'for your replies' might intervene, would be if there were two for expressions, and two levels of thanks: Thank you, for your replies - very much; and for the extra work I had to do acknowledging them all - less so. [Note: for training purposes only; this example bears no relation to real life!]

But this is quite a contrived example. I'd nearly always stick to the other word order.

b

OK, thank you ;).