• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Open or opened?

Dear teacher,

I have been trying to find an answer to this doubt of mine. I know the correct form of the adjective is "open ", like in "the door is open". Why do I say it like this and not "the door is opened"? Why do we say "the door is closed" and not "the door is close"? I will appreciate your help.

Thank you very much.

Re: Open or opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiraci View Post
    Dear teacher,

I have been trying to find an answer to this doubt of mine. I know the correct form of the adjective is "open ", like in "the door is open". Why do I say it like this and not "the door is opened"? Why do we say "the door is closed" and not "the door is close"? I will appreciate your help.

Good question, Ubiraci.

The English language does not have the adjective form 'close' [no 'd'] with the meaning the opposite of 'open'. My guess is, perhaps we maintain this distinction, only using 'closed' to keep it from being confused with the adjective 'close', meaning 'near'.

We do have the adjective form 'open', as you already know and that adjective describes one state of "doordom".

We can and do say "the door is opened" but then we're conveying the passive sense that "the door has been opened by somebody".