• Post Thanks / Like

Wink Cbi &sbi

Hello everybody

Can anyone tell me if there is a clear-cut difference between Competency Based education and Standard based education?
    The web articles seem to treat the two concepts as interchangeable. I would be very grateful to anyone who could help me draw the differences with articles or personal views .
    Thanks in advance.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cbi &sbi

I found the following information at this site: Competency-based education in a clinical course in conservative dentistry

"The conceptual difference between a competency-based education and an education based upon a conventional...curriculum is, perhaps, the starting point for the development of new curricula. The two systems are not, in themselves, exclusive. There is common ground to be found, and the concept of combining instruction with competency-based learning experiences is emerging...
    Although not mutually exclusive, there are conceptual differences between a discipline-based and a competency-based education in dentistry.

Competencies describe the understanding, skills and professional values required of a student that are essential for beginning the unsupervised practice of dentistry.2 Students in traditional discipline-based instructional content courses largely learn what teachers choose to teach them. The courses aim to produce a dentist with prescribed packages of knowledge, some of which will be retained upon graduation. However, a competency-based curriculum identifies what is essential for dental practice, and then provides a sequence of defined learning experiences so that the student may graduate as a qualified beginner. "
    All the best.