• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

curling wake

Dennis slipped the mooring lines, jumped into his own boat, and hummed into the dusk on curling wake. The lighthouse on the points began to wink.
    1. If Dennis 'slipped' the mooring lines, does it mean he threw it into the boat, ran it through his hand, or something else?

2. "Hummed into the dusk on curling wake" - dusk = that's when the sun is just about to set, right? so Dennis is either humming in the direction of the sunset or humming as the sun is setting (indicating duration). Either way, there's no argument that it's the evening. Well, I'm guessing the curling wake is the seawave. If so, why curling 'wake'? people go to bed in the evening. Am I reading too much into the text? or am I reading it wrong? Can anyone help me?

Re: curling wake

[QUOTE=HaraKiriBlade;154113]1. If Dennis 'slipped' the mooring lines, does it mean he threw it into the boat, ran it through his hand, or something else?

It means 'untied the boat', HKB.

2. "Hummed into the dusk on curling wake" - dusk = that's when the sun is just about to set, right? so Dennis is either humming in the direction of the sunset or humming as the sun is setting (indicating duration). Either way, there's no argument that it's the evening. Well, I'm guessing the curling wake is the seawave. If so, why curling 'wake'? people go to bed in the evening. Am I reading too much into the text? or am I reading it wrong? Can anyone help me?[/Q UOTE]

The wake is the wave action set up by the passing of a boat, so it could have the implication that he sped off fairly quickly, fast enough to set up a curling wake.

He wouldn't have to be heading for the sunset, HKB. As dusk is a time of diminished light, a boat would disappear, be harder to see no matter which way he headed.