Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How to explain the difference between in the hospital /at the hospital?

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
"at" refers to a location, whereas "in" refers to the inside. The former, "at", could refer to either the outside or the inside of a building. Both of these are correct:

I'm at the hospital. <The speaker could be inside or outside the building>
I'm in the hospital.

Speakers might use "at" instead of "in" when location itself is more important than being inside that location and doing something; i.e., waiting for the doctor. For example, a speaker, not all, might use "at" and "in" this way,

I'm at the hospital, waiting for the doctor. <the location is important>
I'm in the hospital, waiting for the doctor. <the action is important>

All the best. :-D

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Germany
"at" refers to a location, whereas "in" refers to the inside. The former, "at", could refer to either the outside or the inside of a building. Both of these are correct:

I'm at the hospital. <The speaker could be inside or outside the building>
I'm in the hospital.

Speakers might use "at" instead of "in" when location itself is more important than being inside that location and doing something; i.e., waiting for the doctor. For example, a speaker, not all, might use "at" and "in" this way,

I'm at the hospital, waiting for the doctor. <the location is important>
I'm in the hospital, waiting for the doctor. <the action is important>

All the best. :-D

1. I think Casiopea when you come to at it is not really a question of inside and outside. At views place/time as a point:
Time seen as a point: at 8 O'clock
Time seen as a period in the morning

Place seen as a point (meeting point) at the doctor's /at the restaurant
Place seen spatially (three dimensional)in the office

2. The commercial @ is given in email addresses perhaps because it is the point where we meet others

3. Since at is a point it takes aim (targets). No wonder at comes with verbs which are aggressive. Compare
She shouted at me / she shouted to me
He threw the ball at me / He threw the ball to me
He came at me with a knífe /He came to me
Best
Jamshid

Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
True, true. There's more than one side to "at". ;-) It doesn't occur with place nouns only.

Great addition. :-D:up:

Romeo4755

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It seems to me I grasped the idea.

We usually refer to organizations (meaning that we've come to the place to perform some corresponding actions, not to find a shelter from the rain or to paint the walls :) ) - AT:

at the post office, at the hairdresser's, at a restaurant, etc.

So why does Murphy Grammar recommend IN with hospital?

As far as I understand now, you are IN hospital if you're supposed to stay there for some days (imprisoned there in a way - the idea of being inside some place).

But we say: He's at AT hospital, having his leg being bandaged. (he's a patient, but not imprisoned, just a routine).

Again, we say IN prison.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
It seems to me I grasped the idea.

We usually refer to organizations (meaning that we've come to the place to perform some corresponding actions, not to find a shelter from the rain or to paint the walls :) ) - AT:

at the post office, at the hairdresser's, at a restaurant, etc.

So why does Murphy Grammar recommend IN with hospital?

As far as I understand now, you are IN hospital if you're supposed to stay there for some days (imprisoned there in a way - the idea of being inside some place).

But we say: He's at AT hospital, having his leg being bandaged. (he's a patient, but not imprisoned, just a routine).

Again, we say IN prison.

Essentially, as you suggest, to be "in hospital" implies that you are being treated for a condition and that the treatment will last a period of time that will require you to stay in the hospital: "She is in hospital having treatment for leukemia".

However, if you are only in for a short time and will not be required to stay there - emergency treatment, a clinic, visiting a patient - then you are "at the hospital".

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Essentially, as you suggest, to be "in hospital" implies that you are being treated for a condition and that the treatment will last a period of time that will require you to stay in the hospital: "She is in hospital having treatment for leukemia".

With 'the' added for NaE.

"She is in the hospital having treatment for leukemia".

Romeo4755

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
However, if you are only in for a short time and will not be required to stay there - emergency treatment, a clinic, visiting a patient - then you are "at the hospital".

With 'the' added for NaE.

"She is in the hospital having treatment for leukemia".

Sorry for a certain lack of wits - but here (as sometimes in such threads) is s bit of confusion.
What are we talking about? :lol:
Is the point that - talking about a short stay at a hospital for bandaging not only we should use 'AT' but 'the' as well?

! By no means I want to hurt the feelings of AE or CE, but let's finish with the British variants first :) .

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Sorry for a certain lack of wits - but here (as sometimes in such threads) is s bit of confusion.
What are we talking about? :lol:
Is the point that - talking about a short stay at a hospital for bandaging not only we should use 'AT' but 'the' as well?

! By no means I want to hurt the feelings of AE or CE, but let's finish with the British variants first :) .

The only difference between BrE and NaE, it seems, is that for a prolonged stay, we use 'the', whereas BrE doesn't.

BrE - She's in hospital for an operation.

NaE - She's in the hospital for an operation.

Romeo4755

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The only difference between BrE and NaE, it seems, is that for a prolonged stay, we use 'the', whereas BrE doesn't.

BrE - She's in hospital for an operation.

NaE - She's in the hospital for an operation.

:)
I see. But the question was: should I (in BE) always use 'IN hospital' without the article while using 'the' every time I say 'AT' ('at the hospital')/
Is 'at hospital' wrong?

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
:)
I see. But the question was: should I (in BE) always use 'IN hospital' without the article while using 'the' every time I say 'AT' ('at the hospital')/
Is 'at hospital' wrong?

It will largely be governed by context.

"I haven't seen xxx for a while."
"Oh, didn't you know? He's in hospital after a heart attack."

An ongoing situation where xxxx is likely to be under medical care for more than a day.

"Where is xxxx today?"
"He's in the hospital today for an x-ray."

A temporary situation and a specific reference to the location of the event.

"Can I find Dr xxxx?"
"He is at the hospital today doing his clinic there."

It is his place of work.

I would say that "at hospital" is not a usage that you will hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.