1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

help me please. problems with idioms

i face many problems with the translation, very often even undestand the meaning of idioms...
    here is some examples:
    1)French and Russian dressing
    e.g. She offered me a choice between French and Russian dressing, and I chose the latter, and she brought something red in a small saucer.

2) Task is to find the full form of the phraseological in bold type and explain the meaning
    My uncle was a rich man - in other words, he paid the piper.

Don't worry, Bob! We are two brave men with hands, brains and spine. So let the morn come!

help me please in explaining.or mayby there is any link with larger list of idioms than here.
    Last edited by iruby; 21-Feb-2007 at 21:41.

Re: help me please. problems with idioms

Quote Originally Posted by iruby View Post
    i face many problems with the translation, very often even undestand the meaning of idioms...
    here is some examples:
    1)French and Russian dressing
    e.g. She offered me a choice between French and Russian dressing, and I chose the latter, and she brought something red in a small saucer. The narrator is eating [salad] and is offered either French dressing (oil and vinegar) or Russian dressing

2) Task is to find the full form of the phraseological in bold type and explain the meaning
    My uncle was a rich man - in other words, he paid the piperl. Proverb: "He who pays the piper, calls the tune" - those with the money are the ones who decide/direct events.

Don't worry, Bob! We are two brave men with hands, brains and spine. So let the morn come! Let the next day come - "morn" is a contraction of "morning".

help me please in explaining.or mayby there is any link with larger list of idioms than here.