• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

simplistic

I posted this before, but this time, with a different question:

The question is: Do you think there is a native connotation about the word simplistic in the following sentence (too simple)? I am not talking about the general difference between simplistic and simple. I want to know the word in this particular context. Thanks.

At the most primitive level, it provides a satisfying and nearly universal revenge fantasy disguised as the story of heroic sacrifice to art. Anyone who has ever felt isolated and unappreciated can identify with van Gogh and hope not only for a spectacular redemption but also to put critics and doubting relatives to shame. At the same time, the myth offers an alluringly simplistic conception of great art as the product, not of particular historical circumstances and the artist's painstaking calculations, but of the naive and spontaneous outpourings of a mad, holy fool.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: simplistic

Hello Ian,

In this context, I would say that "simplistic" means "not sophisticated"; but with an additional connotation that the speaker slightly looks down on the intellectual capacity of people who subscribe to the myth's "conception of great art".

All the best,

MrP

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: simplistic

Quote Originally Posted by MrPedantic View Post
    Hello Ian,

In this context, I would say that "simplistic" means "not sophisticated"; but with an additional connotation that the speaker slightly looks down on the intellectual capacity of people who subscribe to the myth's "conception of great art".

All the best,

MrP
    Thanks a million.

Ian