Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
My sentence read; 'Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, reason being that some congregations... (...)'. A 'the' was inserted before the word 'reason', making the sentence read as follows ' Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, the reason being that some congregations....'. Why can't the sentence do without 'the'? Could anyone explain to me?:-o

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
It's often left out in speech and informal writing, but in formal writing you should write it in. Note that, there should be a period here, not a comma:

"...today. The reason being,..."

All the best. :-D

smithr9

Member Type
Other
What's wrong with saying "because", instead of "reason being"?

Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, because some congregations...

pyoung

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Agnes:

Reason=the power of logical thought ("Poor Petra! she lost her reason after teaching English to 12 year-olds for too long!") ;-)

the reason: the specific basis for some action, thought, belief, etc. ('Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, the reason being that some congregations... (...)'.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My sentence read; 'Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, reason being that some congregations... (...)'. A 'the' was inserted before the word 'reason', making the sentence read as follows ' Not everyone is able to have a church wedding today, the reason being that some congregations....'. Why can't the sentence do without 'the'? Could anyone explain to me?:-o

Here are some cognate sentences. What do think of them?
"I put A, and I was wrong, correct answer being B."
"We couldn't fix it, problem being we didn't have the tools."
"His mother read to him from an early age, idea being that he would speak sooner".

In my dialect, they all require "the".

Agnes

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Zambia
Current Location
Zambia
"His mother read to him from an early age, idea being that he would speak sooner".

In my dialect, they all require "the".[/quot

I think they sound correct; but now I know they require a "the". That is if I got it right. I guess you mean that the sentences are wrong, am I right? They require "the" in your dialect and in correct English I see.:-|

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

In my dialect, they all require "the".[/quot

I think they sound correct; but now I know they require a "the". That is if I got it right. I guess you mean that the sentences are wrong, am I right? They require "the" in your dialect and in correct English I see.:-|
Yes you are right. Without "the" the sentences are wrong in standard English.

Status
Not open for further replies.