Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Johnny's Avatar

    • Join Date: Nov 2006
    • Posts: 74

    What's the right word or set phrase for this situation?

    We Chinese have a word meaning someone's excellent and good, and other people would speak highly of him or her. who has been praised a lot. This is positive instead of being kissed ass or buttered up.

    A. You are really an awesome player, you scored 40 in that game.
    B. thank you! I'm _________

    How can I use one word or phrase to mean that I'm very proud or you've been praising me a lot. No derogatory sense, a lot of friends would say: I'm flattered. But this is kind of derogatory.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434

    Re: What's the right word or set phrase for this situation?

    I'm chuffed (particularly in the North of England).

    But I don't see anything derogatory in "I'm flattered".

Similar Threads

  1. What is the posh word for 'phrase'? Please.
    By Unregistered2321321 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2006, 07:48
  2. How could I use a word or phrase express...?
    By lightmake in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2005, 23:52
  3. s the group of word in ( ) a Phrase or a clause
    By happy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-May-2005, 10:20
    By jwschang in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2003, 18:15
  5. Prepositional-Participal-Gerund-Infinitive Phrases
    By raelynn in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2003, 20:33


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts