• Post Thanks / Like

It can be wondered

Hello,

Up to now I had thought that It can be wondered whether / if etc. was a Gallicism, and was therefore to be avoided, even in "academic prose".

I have found 1060 occurrences of the phrase on Google (wich, comparatively speaking, is not that much). E.g. It can be wondered if cultural studies can truly contextualize the present historically and culturally while moving from the position of witness to that of actor etc.

Could I ask you how you react to the phrase It can be wondered etc. Do you have the impression that it is mere academic jargon or does it definitely strike you as foreign-sounding ?

With many thanks in advance.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: It can be wondered

I hit three-thousand something -rare indeed- and the majority of the hits were (as you thought) academic. For example, and note the date here, in R. S. Peters on Punishment by John Kleinig British Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Oct., 1972), pp. 259-269
    "Indeed, so much is covered, that it can be wondered whether there is any univocity in the notion of a rule and whether the notion of a rule serves as an...."

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much indeed, Casiopea.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much indeed, Casiopea.

(Could I just ask you what sort of search engine you used ?)

• Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome, and I used Google.

All the best.