• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

New Thread vs Ask a Teacher

Hi Casiopea

A couple of days ago, I asked you the difference between posting 'New Thread' and posting under 'Ask a Teacher'.

I was surprised today when I posted under 'Ask a Teacher', the first to reply to my query was a Newbie.

Could you please let me know why there is no difference between the two ways of posting. I do not mind moderators replying to my queries, but I wonder whether Newbies will provide me with the correct answers.

All the best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: New Thread vs Ask a Teacher

'New thread' is just the way to start the thread. 'Ask a Teacher' is one of the sections of the forum. You can start a 'New Thread' button in any section that is open for new threads.

Forums are public spheres and people are free to answer. This is a free service and teachers log on in their spare time to answer. Questions do get answered, but there are no guarantees that the first answer to your post will be from a moderator. Newbies may well be teachers, and many of the people who are not moderators are teachers. People are living in different time zones and come in at times suitable to them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Am I right to conclude that whichever way I post, I may get my question/s answered by a teacher or moderator, and that there isn't much difference whichever way I post.

Sorry for asking so many things at one go.

All the best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

'New Thread' is just a button. You can posts new threads in Ask a Teacher/Pronunciation and Phonetics/English Idioms and Sayings, etc. In all cases, you will have to use that button.

The English Questions section is locked so that people can't start threads there. This is because we use that sections for polls that are questions about language. In that section, people can reply in threads but not start them, so the 'New Thread' option doesn't not work.

Put a question in the most appropriate or relevant section and it will get answered.