Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,247
    #1

    limericks

    Dear teachers,

    Would you please help me answer this question? This is not a homework.
    Read the limericks below and guess what the last line could be.

    1) There was an old man of Darjeeling (where is this?)
    Who travelled from London to Ealing.
    It said on the door:
    “Please don’t spit on the floor!”
    ___________________________________

    2) There was an old man of Peru
    Who dreamt he was eating a shoe.
    He awoke in the night
    In a terrible fright
    ___________________________________

    3) There was a young lady of Niger
    Who smiled as she rode on a tiger.
    They returned from the ride
    With the lady inside
    ____________________________________

    4) There was an old lady of Kent
    Whose nose was remarkably bent.
    One day, they suppose,
    She followed her nose
    _____________________________________

    5) An epicure, dining at Crewe (where is it?)
    Found quite a large mouse in his stew.
    Said the waiter. “Don’t shout
    And wave it about
    _____________________________________

    Thank you for your help,
    Hela

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #2

    Re: limericks

    What are your best guesses? (Rhyme is the key.)

  2. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #3

    Re: limericks

    Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,

    Would you please help me answer this question? This is not a homework.
    Read the limericks below and guess what the last line could be.

    1) There was an old man of Darjeeling (where is this?)
    Who travelled from London to Ealing.
    It said on the door:
    “Please don’t spit on the floor!”
    ___________________________________

    2) There was an old man of Peru
    Who dreamt he was eating a shoe.
    He awoke in the night
    In a terrible fright
    ___________________________________

    3) There was a young lady of Niger
    Who smiled as she rode on a tiger.
    They returned from the ride
    With the lady inside
    ____________________________________

    4) There was an old lady of Kent
    Whose nose was remarkably bent.
    One day, they suppose,
    She followed her nose
    _____________________________________

    5) An epicure, dining at Crewe (where is it?)
    Found quite a large mouse in his stew.
    Said the waiter. “Don’t shout
    And wave it about
    _____________________________________

    Thank you for your help,
    Hela
    Hi, Hela!
    I think I can help you with #2 and #5 .
    #2. There was an old man from Peru
    Who dreamed he was eating his shoe
    He woke in a fright
    In the middle of the night.
    And found it was perfectly true.

    #5. There once was a young man from Kew
    Who found a dead mouse in his stew
    Said the waiter, "Don't shout"
    Or wave it about
    Or the rest will be wanting one too.

    ( Kew is a district of western greater London)

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: limericks

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Hi, Hela!
    I think I can help you with #2 and #5 .
    #2. There was an old man from Peru
    Who dreamed he was eating his shoe
    He woke in a fright
    In the middle of the night.
    And found it was perfectly true.

    #5. There once was a young man from Kew
    Who found a dead mouse in his stew
    Said the waiter, "Don't shout"
    Or wave it about
    Or the rest will be wanting one too.

    ( Kew is a district of western greater London)
    I think 'Crewe' is quite possible; it's a largish town in the north of England, famed for its importance in cross-country rail routes (most lines pass through Crewe).

    Others:
    • 1: Darjeeling is in India, famous - irrelevantly - for the tea grown there.
      "So he stood up and spat at the ceiling."
    • 3: "And a smile on the face of the tiger"
      (This may be one of Edward Lear's limericks, notable for their unadventurous rhymes.)
    • 4 "And rather than coming, she went."
      (When I first heard this, it was "And instead of coming, she went"; I've tidied up the metre a bit.)


    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,247
    #5

    Re: limericks

    Thank you very much. Do you have other examples of limericks, please?
    Kind regards,
    Hela

  4. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,932
    #6

    Re: limericks

    Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Thank you very much. Do you have other examples of limericks, please?
    Kind regards,
    Hela

    www.answer.com

  5. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #7

    Re: limericks

    Made me remember when my parents once finished up in Crewe by mistake!
    Oh! Mr Porter, what shall I do,
    I wanted to go to Birmingham, and they've taken me on to Crewe,
    Take me back to London, as quickly as you can
    Oh! Mr Porter what a silly girl I am.


    • Join Date: Nov 2009
    • Posts: 1
    #8

    Re: limericks

    Hi Hela!
    Sorry to inform you that the last line related to limericks #4 is wrong.
    This limerick refers toa poem dedicated to children and the correct complete limerick is:

    There was an old lady of Kent
    Whose nose was remarkably bent.
    One day, they suppose,
    She followed her nose,
    For no one knows which way she went.

    I cannot insert url now (i'm a newbie here!) but I can give you this information:
    You can find many limericks and jokes searching the web site jokes2go with google.

    Please enjoy!

    Marco



    Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Thank you very much. Do you have other examples of limericks, please?
    Kind regards,
    Hela

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,247
    #9

    Re: limericks

    Thanks MCR09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •