Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2005
    • Posts: 254
    #1

    Difference

    Dear All,

    Can somebody tell me the following :

    1) We can write - "To be in England........", but we can not write "to be in here. Please guide

    2) what is the difference between :

    a) to be here on time is important
    b) being here on time is important.

    I think "a" expresses fact.

    Regards

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,888
    #2

    Re: Difference

    1) You can say 'in here' is you are inside a place and the act of being inside is important. however, ormally we wouldn't use the preposition.

    2) The gerund suggests that it is always important, say for your work, while the infinitive could refer to a single occasion.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2005
    • Posts: 254
    #3

    Re: Difference

    Thanks for your reply.

    The explanation about gerund and Infinitive varies from sentence. One of the explainations that you have given fits into this particluar sentence or fits into sentence which are similar to this one.

    Other explainations I have heard about other sentences is that Infinitive tells about facts also, gerunds are actualised like so on.

    Can we get a list of all these explaination in one site or in one place so that it become easy for us to know about all these explainations about infinitive and Gerund ?

    Second

    Does "To be in England" imply that we are inside England (inside a place) OR its explanation will be different from "in here", as Mr. Tdol has explained.

    When you say "Inside a Place", does it mean that you should be inside a concrete area.

    Thanks & Regards
    Rajan

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    1) You can say 'in here' is you are inside a place and the act of being inside is important. however, ormally we wouldn't use the preposition.

    2) The gerund suggests that it is always important, say for your work, while the infinitive could refer to a single occasion.
    Last edited by rajan; 27-Feb-2007 at 11:16.


    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2
    #4

    Re: Difference

    "To be here" shows that you are a subject and you should do this but " being here" only shows the incidental.

    Satish

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Oct 2005
    • Posts: 254
    #5

    Re: Difference

    I am still Awaiting the response

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by rajan View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    The explanation about gerund and Infinitive varies from sentence. One of the explainations that you have given fits into this particluar sentence or fits into sentence which are similar to this one.
    Other explainations I have heard about other sentences is that Infinitive tells about facts also, gerunds are actualised like so on.
    Can we get a list of all these explaination in one site or in one place so that it become easy for us to know about all these explainations about infinitive and Gerund ?
    Second
    Does "To be in England" imply that we are inside England (inside a place) OR its explanation will be different from "in here", as Mr. Tdol has explained.
    When you say "Inside a Place", does it mean that you should be inside a concrete area.
    Thanks & Regards
    Rajan


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 42
    #6

    Re: Difference

    Can we get a list of all these explainations from a site or other place(source) so that it would be easier for us to learn about all these explanations about the Infinitive and the Gerund ?

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: Difference

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan View Post
    ...
    Does "To be in England" imply that we are inside England (inside a place) OR its explanation will be different from "in here", as Mr. Tdol has explained.
    When you say "Inside a Place", does it mean that you should be inside a concrete area.
    Thanks & Regards
    Rajan
    You can't be either 'inside England' or 'inside a place'. Tdol was referring to 'in here' with reference to something three-dimensional - like a room or a building:

    'Let's hide in this hut - they won't catch us in here'

    Your case of a concrete area is two-dimensional (the word area tells you that).

    b

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #8

    Re: Difference

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan View Post
    Dear All,

    Can somebody tell me the following :

    1) We can write - "To be in England........", but we can not write "to be in here. Please guide
    The problem isn't the noun here, it's the coupling, in + here. It expresses a closed-in space;e.g., a room, a phone booth, a box, a hole. England, any country for that matter, is not a closed-in space. Although, some counties...

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan
    2) what is the difference between :

    a) to be here on time is important
    b) being here on time is important.

    I think a) expresses fact.
    If you want to differentiate the two by using the notion "fact", as opposed to, say, "act", then what about?

    to-infintive
    a) To be on time (this notion) is important,
    gerund
    b) Being on time (this event) is important

    Quote Originally Posted by rajan
    Can we get a list of all these explaination in one site or in one place so that it become easy for us to know about all these explainations about infinitive and Gerund ?
    Try here: Gerunds and Infinitives: Their Noun Roles. If that source doesn't help, let us know and we'll do our best to find you more.

    All the best.

Similar Threads

  1. difference in meaning?
    By alinel in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2006, 19:49
  2. temperature difference
    By Roro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2005, 23:12
  3. any difference ?
    By forum_mail in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2005, 07:39
  4. making the difference
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2004, 16:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •