• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

I like hamburger or hamburgers?

Hello, I posted this thread after a long while.

I have thought we should use pruaral form after the verb "like", if the noun is countable.However I found a sentence "I like hamburger" recently. I thought the sentence wrong, and so I checked it on Google to find quite many of it.

My dictionary, which sells most in Japan, says if "hamburger" is uncountable,
    it means minced meat, not fried one we eat at Mcdonald's or something like that.

Can I use "I like hamburger. (singular)" to mean I like fried ones? Or should I use prural form?

I hope I can get your reply soon.

I appreciate your help.

Re: I like hamburger or hamburgers?

I'm no language expert( I might be, though not an official one) but you're right. I like hamburger is incorrect. You could say this many different ways for example, I like hamburgers or I'd like a hamburger. If you want to say you like fried ones, say so. "I like fried hamburgers."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"I like hamburger" is not incorrect. It simply means that you like the ground beef mixture that we call hamburger. If you like hamburger, then that implies that you would like recipes that include it, such as meatloaf or Salisbury steak.

If you're referring to grilled hamburger patties served on a bun, then you'd say "I like hamburgers."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Smile Re: I like hamburger or hamburgers?

I thank you two for answering me very soon.

When I was reading your replies, another question came to my mind.
    What would you say if "hamburger" refers to a hamburger steak.

I'm not sure whether a hamburger steak is common in English speaking countries. Hamburger steak is grilled minced beef, which is served without buns.

In this case, should I use singular form or plural form?
    I think steak can be countable and uncountable. If so, doesn't it mean I can use either?

Thank you for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshio View Post
    I thank you two for answering me very soon.

When I was reading your replies, another question came to my mind.
    What would you say if "hamburger" refers to a hamburger steak.

I'm not sure whether a hamburger steak is common in English speaking countries. Hamburger steak is grilled minced beef, which is served without buns.

In this case, should I use singular form or plural form?
    I think steak can be countable and uncountable. If so, doesn't it mean I can use either?

Thank you for your help
    Good point. Sorry for not responding for a long time. We don't see a lot of hamburger steak here in Canada( Well, I don't see a lot of hamburger steak here), so I'd say hamburger steak is uncommon. I could be wrong, though. I feel you could use either, but I'd prefer plural forms, it just seems safer. Yes, I do believe steak can be countable and uncountable. So, you might be able to use both.

Does this help at all? Let me know if you're confused, I can try and clarify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    "I like hamburger" is not incorrect. It simply means that you like the ground beef mixture that we call hamburger. If you like hamburger, then that implies that you would like recipes that include it, such as meatloaf or Salisbury steak.

If you're referring to grilled hamburger patties served on a bun, then you'd say "I like hamburgers."
    I never realized that, thanks for correcting me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

This can be a little tricky for English learners because it is mostly idiomatic. You can say, "I like salad," and "I like salads," or you can say, "I like steak," and "I like steaks," and they mean essentially the same thing.

If you say, "I like dogs," it means that you are fond of the animals. If you say, "I like dog," it means you like eating dog meat.