1. Kim_Inhwa from Korea

Question Please Help Me!!

I'm Korean. I live in Seoul, South Korea.

I do not speak English well, so please forgive my clumsy expression.

I have carried out a kind of 'English Test' last month(January, 2007),

and one question is making a confusion, because anyone can't make sure what the correct answer is.

I was confused too.

Belows are the question and answers.

---------------------

Chamber Upgrades Website

Dunston Chamber of Commerce completed its database upgrade project yesterday when it announced a new feature allowing Chamber of Commerce members to search an extensive database of members.

"Though our old website offered useful information for local business it did not make it easy for one company to learn about another." said Anton Szabo, a membership director.

"But now, with this database upgrade if a member company is looking for a tax consultant for example, the new website can identify local consulting firms, provide current contact information, even link to their websites.

I applaud the Chamber's development committee, which came up with the idea consistent with the mission of the upgrade.

A member business, Gossan Design on Sand Road, has been selected to provide editorialand technical support for the website.

While access to the business database is restricted to members with a password the remaining site content continues to be available to the general public.

As in the past all visitors have access to the online newsletter, regional events calendar and information on Chamber membership as well as to local employment opportunity listings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

159. What is stated about the database?

(A) It is available only to members.

(B) It was suggested by Gossan Design.

(C) It includes local job listings.

(D) It will be upgraded soon.

---------------------------------------------

Some people think answer A is the correct answer. but others think C is the correct answer.

This English Test does not povide correct answers openly; only provieds test results just like score.

Please help me, and Many Korean applicants of that test.

They're looking forward your answers, and I am.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Help Me!!

C is wrong because you don't need to be a member to access the job listings:

As in the past all visitors have access to the online newsletter, regional events calendar and information on Chamber membership as well as to local employment opportunity listings.

It is, however, a bit confusing but A) seems to me the best answer because the 'extensive database of members' can only be searched by members. However, you could argue that the jobs listings are a database, so it would be better if it said 'database upgrade' in the question.

• Post Thanks / Like

C is wrong, not only for the reasons given by Tdol, but also because the local job listings are not part of the database being asked about in the question. They are part of the 'remaining site content'.

'While access to the business database is restricted to members with a password the remaining site content continues to be available to the general public.

As in the past all visitors have access to the online newsletter, regional events calendar and information on Chamber membership as well as to local employment opportunity listings.'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

The trouble is defining what the database is- they have upgraded it, not created it, so other aspects are already databased, which is the problem with answer A). I don't think the question is very clear- A) is the least incorrect option rather than the clearly correct one.