1. Unregistered

jazzed-up keychain

Please tell me the meaning of the bracked part:

The speeding data of the Information Age has warped our sense of time. Buying gas with a credit card is too time consuming . (Now we can pay with the wave of jazzed-up keychain at the pump. Minute-long news segments are too much of a snooze. )

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: jazzed-up keychain

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please tell me the meaning of the bracketed part:
    The speeding data of the Information Age has warped our sense of time. Buying gas with a credit card is too time consuming . (Now we can pay with the wave of jazzed-up keychain at the pump. Minute-long news segments are too much of a snooze. )
    If you registered I'd be able to tell if this was the same person who keeps missing out the et, or if this was just a typo made coincidentally by lots of different people. Also, you could get e-mail notification of replies.

The word 'gas' suggests that this is an example of American English; but I think I can help.

jazzed-up = with added features (in this case a wireless connection to a billing agency of some kind)
    key-chain - this sort of wireless feature can be added to a key-ring; you just wave it at the payment point (in this case, a petrol pump).
    (Watch out; the technology exists to have active bill-boards that phone your mobile as you are walking past, suggest that you really want [whatever they're selling], and bill your phone account if you agree. )

I'm not sure about the second sentence, but I think it is using 'a snooze' to mean 'something likely to induce boredom'/'...very tedious'. The writer is saying that the innovations made possible by IT are reducing our attention span by making us expect them to happen either as soon as (or even before) we have realized the need.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Personally, I blame MTV, but for some reason people today seem to have very short attention spans. Therefore, when those one-minute news breaks come on TV or radio, thanks to technology, we can zap right through them. ("Too much of a snooze" means they're boring. They'll put you to sleep.) Thanks to TiVO we don't have to sit through commercials any more - just push a button and we can fast-forward through them.

Don't let Bob fool you - they're called "gas" pumps, not "petrol."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Don't let Bob fool you - they're called "gas" pumps, not "petrol."
    I wondered whether to say 'gas', but I'm just cussed - or is it 'ornery'?

b