• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

two questions!

My English teacherís asked us to find the names of two things. Iíve tried hard but unfortunately I couldnít find them, so I thought to ask them here. Iíll be really grateful if you help me. Thank you very much.
    First: the name of a game. The game is that you hide a small thing in one of your hands (fists) and your opponent must guess which one of your hands is full. Sometimes you hide your hands behind your back and change the item between them to confuse your opponent. (Even sometimes you drop the item without your opponentís notice. And even sometimes you change the item between your hands so rapidly that your opponent canít find out which hand is full and which one is empty.) Itís a very simple game, and in my country usually children play this game. If I want to translate the name of this game from Persian (Farsi) (my first language) to English it will be something like this ďfull or emptyĒ or ďnull or scoreĒ. But I know English people use a different expression for this game. I found that some English people use ďguess which handĒ for naming this game, but when I told my teacher this, he said: ďno, itís not the name I want.Ē
    In a way, itís become a challenge between our teacher and us (!!), because heí said you canít find it. But I want to find it before he tells us himself. So, please help me, if anyone knows it, please tell me. (Heís got an Oxford dictionary and brings it to the class and he says the name of this game is in his dictionary.) I also, have got an Oxford dictionary, but I donít know what I should look for, so I canít find it in dictionaries.

Second: a song that children sing when they play and want to choose one person between themselves. For example four children want to choose one child between themselves to become a goal keeper or something. In our country they sing a song that if I want to translate to English it will be something like this ďten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety, hundredĒ (itís sang in rhythm) one child counts the other children using this song. Every person who has got ďhundredĒ he is chosen.
    I want to know what song English children sing in this case. Whatís the name of this song and whatís the song?
    Please help me
    Thank you very much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: two questions!

Sorry to say, I don't know any specific names for the games you've described. I'm familiar with the hiding an object in your hand behind your back game, but as far as I know, it doesn't have a name. Any time I played it as a child, the other person just said "Guess which hand?" or "Pick a hand."

If I'm understanding the second part of your question, there are many different games children use to choose a player. Probably the most common would be "eeney, meeney, miney, moe." You point to each person as you say each word in the rhyme, and the last person/word gets eliminated.

Wow! I think your teacher has given you an impossible task...

The first game doesn't really have a name, or it has a thousand names depending how you view it.

The second game is similar - there are many ways to play it. There is eeny meeny as in the previous post, or one potato, two potato, or ink, pink, pen and ink. There are many variations.

Perhaps your teacher is playing games with you, and his word will be 'anonymous', 'nursery game' or something else non-specific.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

first of all, thank you very much!!! (specially fo the song.)
    about the name of that game, today our teacher gave me a clue. he said the name of this game is two words and each word has four letters.
    you said it dosen't have a name, then when you want to play this game (for example with your friend) what do you say? you say "let's play_______", don't you? so it should have a name. in this case what do you say to your friend when you ask him to play this game with you. (except "guess which hand" or "pick a hand". you say these words when you ask him to choose a hand, right?)
    so, if you know what I mean and if you know the name of this game, please tell me.
    thank you again

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Well, I guess it's simply called 'hand game'.
    http://www.csus.edu/ANTH/museum/egui...0Educators.pdf-page 5
    Last edited by queenbu; 04-Mar-2007 at 23:24.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

One other song I remember is 'The sky is blue, how old are you?' goes the first line. The child tells his age and you count. Where the counting ends you ask the second question 'And what colour do you like best, red, white or blue?' You spell the colour chosen, for eg W-H-I-T-E and with each letter you say you move from one child to another. Where you stop you say the final line 'So white (or blue, or red) must be on your own dress'. If it isn't, you're out.
    Ah-the good old days!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post

Well spotted, queenbu - though I've never heard that expression.

b

Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    I have never heard it called 'hand game' either, but now subzeroking can show it to his teacher.

Maybe the other one is 'choosing game'?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thank you my friends for your helps.

Finally my teacher agreed to tell me the name of this game! It was ďhandy-dandyĒ and it was really in his oxford dictionary. I saw it myself! It really was!!
    Have anyone ever heard this expression? Do English people use this name for this game?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Well, I had my moment of glory for a while!

But subzeroking had said about the name of that game, today our teacher gave me a clue. he said the name of this game is two words and each word has four letters.
    Handy-dandy is made up of two five-letter words, if not of one ten-letter word!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast