Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    complex preposition

    please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    Perhaps you are thinking of prepositional phrases?




  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562

    Re: complex preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by me
    please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me
    A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

    because of
    due to
    with respect to
    in regard to

    More here:

    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546

    Re: complex preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me
    A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

    because of
    due to
    with respect to
    in regard to

    More here:

    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm
    Hey! That's not in our glossary. Tdol does say: "Some prepositional phrases can function like single word prepositions; next to, in front of, etc."
    https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/preposition.html

    His examples, next to and in front of are complex prepositions, right?

    :)

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562

    Re: complex preposition

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    please can you explain to me what a complex preposition is, iv looked every where and no where seems to be able to help me
    A complex preposition is a preposition made up of two or more words; it acts as a single unit in a sentence.

    because of
    due to
    with respect to
    in regard to

    More here:

    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/internet-grammar/preps/complex.htm
    Hey! That's not in our glossary. Tdol does say: "Some prepositional phrases can function like single word prepositions; next to, in front of, etc."
    https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/preposition.html

    His examples, next to and in front of are complex prepositions, right?

    :)
    Yes they are. It is a terminology thing, but, for me, a prepositional phrase is a preposition (simple or complex) plus its object and any modifiers of the object.

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,131
    OK- I'll add complex.

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- I'll add complex.
    Thanks. I feel better now.

    :wink:

  8. #8
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,131
    I've added something quickly.

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- I'll add complex.
    You are very agreeable tonight. :wink:

  10. #10
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,131

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •