• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

intercept

Though their figures brushed the small boughs by the wayside, it could not be seen that they intercepted, even for a moment, the faint gleam from the strip of bright sky athwart which they must have passed.
    I guess I'm having hard time understanding the sentence because I don't know what 'intercept' means here. It generally means to stop, and I tried reading the sentence by replacing the word with 'stop'. Didn't do me good.

Can someone tell me what this sentence means? your help is much appreciated.

- HKB

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: intercept

Is it being used with this meaning:
    4 : to include (part of a curve, surface, or solid) between two points, curves, or surfaces <the part of a circumference intercepted between two radii>
    Definition of intercept - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

That's the mathematical interpretation, Tdol-the first thing that comes to my mind but here it seems to mean that even though they crossed a certain path the rays of the sun hadn't been interrupted/stopped/crossed/covered by their passing.

What do you think?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I am really not sure exactly what it means- it could be either and it's not a very clear description to me. I think that maybe the writer is trying to be too precise and not succeeding in conveying the image they want.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I guess sentences before this one would help the interpretation.

On came the hoof-tramps and the voices of the riders, two grave old voices, conversing soberly as they drew near. These mingled sounds appeared to pass along the road, within a few yards of the young man's hiding-place; but, owing doubtless to the depth of the gloom at that particular spot, neither the travellers nor their steeds were visible. Though their figures brushed the small boughs by the wayside, it could not be seen that they intercepted, even for a moment, the faint gleam from the strip of bright sky athwart which they must have passed.
    There are no two points to include as far as I can interpret, but then my interpretation can fail me on many occasions. I can see where queenbu's interpretation's coming from, and I'm almost inclined to agree, but then having read the whole story, I think the focus is the two figures on horses and not the sunlight. Can you tell me what the sentence means? I feel like an idiot struggling with supposedly an easy short story. Sigh...

Edit: It makes me feel a little better that even Tdol's not sure about the meaning. But then the previous sentences may help. The story's written in 1835, by the way. It must be one of those obsolete word usage or weird sentence structure from the days of old. Sigh again...

- HKB
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 06-Mar-2007 at 05:17.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Blocked- they were in too dark a hiding place to see the light being blocked