• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania

Post How many kinds of Moods there are in english?

Dear teacher,

My question is, how many kinds of moods there exist in english? If posible I would need some references for each.

Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: How many kinds of Moods there are in english?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania

Post Re: How many kinds of Moods there are in english?

Thank you for the help. In fact, I beforehand had a look at the glossary; it did not fulfil my requirements. In order to be more explicit I will draw a comparison between the two languages, my native Albanian and English.

There are six different moods in Albanian, whereas in English three.

Albanian __________ English
    1. Dëftore ___________ Indicative
    2. Urdhërore _________ Imperative
    3. Lidhore ___________ Subjunctive
    4. Dëshirore _________ not exist (expresses a desire or a curse)
    5. Habitore __________ not exist (expresses surprise, amazement, astonishment)
    6. Kushtore _________Conditional (as an equivalent)

Now, my question is: part of which mood are the tree last ones, as they do not stand alone? Moreover, how are expressed the forth and the fifth in English? I would appreciate some examples.

Thank you very mush in advance!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

You're trying to compare two completely different things, and it's not going to work. We have no moods to express those. Some may fall into one category; you'll find old texts saying 'Cursed be he that...', which would be a subjunctive. With conditionals, the second conditional shows through 'if I were' the past subjunctive, though many don't use this, so it doesn't fall into a mood clearly and virtually no one uses the present subjunctive in the first conditional ('if he be'), though they did in the past.

These moods don't exist- some uses may be subjunctive, others will be expressed through things like modals. We can express surpise through interjections (wow!), tone of voice, choice of verb, etc, but there's no mood category that corresponds- we simply don't do things the same way in different languages, I'm afraid.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Albanian
      • Home Country:
      • Albania
      • Current Location:
      • Albania

Smile Re: How many kinds of Moods there are in english?

You did in fact help me out. With another pair of question, I hope, to reach the goal.
    1. When we say 'Cursed be he that...', is the 'be' (an infinitive in this case) fall under Indicative mood? We have the same structure in Albanian 'Mallakuar 'qofte' ai qe...' but the verb in not an infinitive and it falls under the mood 'deshirore', which is 'wish expressive'
    2. Conditional, if not a mood as in Albanian, under which mood of English does it fall?
    3. Tell me please, If you saw someone doing what you did not expect from him\her, what would you say using the verb 'do' to express your surprise?
    I need these things for a research paper in translation. The point it to make english-to-albanain translator able to distinguish between moods. As I said previously, if one translates 'cursed be he that...' using an infinitive in Albanian, definitely they have not translated it.

Thanka a lot, a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

1 I'd say that is a prezsent subjunctive, something along the lanes of 'may he be cursed', almost an impertaive, but you can't give God orders. There's a subset of the subjunctive called the aptative, which is when you use the subjunctive for expressing a wish, which would include curses.

2 It's not a mood in itself- it's modality, with the tense/from expressing the degree of certainty (will/would and the perfect aspect being used to show time (would have done). If you want a mood, then it's indicative IMO.

3 That doesn't work for me- you could say 'don't do that' or 'doing that?' (with rising intonation), but I think that Albanian may well have something that doesn't have a direct parallel in English. There's certainly no standard form for that.

PS 'Cursed be he' is old-fashioned IMO.1 I'd say that is a prezsent subjunctive, something along the lanes of 'may he be cursed', almost an impertaive, but you can't give God orders. There's a subset of the subjunctive called the aptative, which is when you use the subjunctive for expressing a wish, which would include curses.

2 It's not a mood- it's modality, with the tense/from expressing the degree of certainty (will/would and the perfect aspect being used to show time (would have done).

3 That doesn't work for me- you could say 'don't do that' or 'doing that?' (with rising intonation), but I think that Albanian may well have something that doesn't have a direct parallel in English. There's certainly no standard form for that.

PS 'Cursed be he' is old-fashioned IMO.