Difference between which and what

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 107,746
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I am always confused between which and what? When do you use which and when do you use what?

saidon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Which language do you speak at home?
What language do you speak at home?

which sentence is correct and where is it appropriate to use what and which?

fiona bramble

Member Type
English Teacher
as I've been out of the classroom a couple of years, I've forgotten the specific terminology, but...
in speech, many native speakers will use either "what" or "which" in the examples you gave and both would be understood and acceptable.
"Which" generally suggests there are two or more possibilities and the person asking "which" probably knows what they are.
"Which language do you speak at home?" suggests the person asking knows you speak three languages and wonders which of those three you speak at home.
"What" is more general and the person asking may not know how many languages you speak nor what they are.
but...like I said, in informal speech, both are used!
:-D

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
as I've been out of the classroom a couple of years, I've forgotten the specific terminology, but...
in speech, many native speakers will use either "what" or "which" in the examples you gave and both would be understood and acceptable.
"Which" generally suggests there are two or more possibilities and the person asking "which" probably knows what they are.
"Which language do you speak at home?" suggests the person asking knows you speak three languages and wonders which of those three you speak at home.
"What" is more general and the person asking may not know how many languages you speak nor what they are.
but...like I said, in informal speech, both are used!
:-D
So I think, if we replace `what` with `which` there is no much difference in meaning.

Am I right?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which- refers to a closed set:
'Which of these do you want?'
You couldn't replace this with 'what'. There are cases where there isn't much difference, but where the choice is clearly restricted, then 'which' would be the better choice.

saidon

Member Type
Student or Learner
I was going through this english book I have and it says that "What" refers to an object, idea or event whereas "which" refers to person or thing. Can you throw some light on this please.

queenmaabd

Member Type
English Teacher
I agree with Tdol
What is your favorite book?
Which is your favourite fantasy book?

What refers to an open set and which to a closed or more specific set of items to choose from.

Which can refer to animals or objects but never to people. We use who for people (both in interrogative and relative sentences)

saidon

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have come across this quite number of time that "what" refers to object and "which" refers to thing. WHat do you mean by object ? Isn't thing an object too. So, what is the differnce between a thing and an object?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Saidon, that doesn't strike me as a very good explanation. I don't know where you got it from, but it really doesn't make much sense to me. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.