Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #1

    connotation

    Though I referred many dictionaries to find out the meaning of "Connotation".

    I can't got it.


    So, could you explain its meaning with some few simple examples?


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 42
    #2

    Re: connotation


  1. Dany's Avatar

    • Join Date: Aug 2004
    • Posts: 602
    #3

    Re: connotation

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Though I referred many dictionaries to find out the meaning of "Connotation".

    I can't got it.


    So, could you explain its meaning with some few simple examples?
    Have a look here: Connotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For examples this page will help you: connotation - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    Best wishes,
    Dany


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #4

    Re: connotation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    Have a look here: Connotation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    For examples this page will help you: connotation - Definitions from Dictionary.com

    Best wishes,
    Dany
    Friends,
    I already tried it there.

    I can't understand there.

    Please you explain me.

  2. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #5

    Re: connotation

    connotation:the feelings or ideas that words give in addition to their meanings.e.g. The word second-hand has connotations of poor quality.

    In the example, second-hand literally means 'used' but there is also an implied meaning of poor quality. Second-hand gives the idea of 'poor quality'.


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #6

    Re: connotation

    Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    connotation:the feelings or ideas that words give in addition to their meanings.e.g. The word second-hand has connotations of poor quality.

    In the example, second-hand literally means 'used' but there is also an implied meaning of poor quality. Second-hand gives the idea of 'poor quality'.
    Thank you very very very much Queenbu

    That's what I wanted.

  3. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #7

    Re: connotation

    You're very, very, very welcome!


    • Join Date: May 2006
    • Posts: 1,335
    #8

    Re: connotation

    Hi, Gary,
    Connotations are the most interesting part of a language, they give additional info and can be means to express your attitude, emotions etc. In addition to Q's I'll give a couple of examples.
    You can say
    1. His report was quite good.
    2. His report was rather good.

    The connotation rather conveys can be that the report was better than you expected and you are surprised.
    Not only words (one of the synonyms you choose) but grammatical forms have their connotations.
    1. Fiona always takes my car. - Neutral - we don't know whether the speaker likes or dislikes that.
    2. Fiona is always taking my car. - The speaker is annoyed by the fact.
    Regards


    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #9

    Re: connotation

    Again, thanks to Queenbu and Humble.

Similar Threads

  1. bent-on-one-thing eyes.
    By Humble in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2007, 14:03
  2. V to kill as a positive connotation?
    By Mariner in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21-Nov-2006, 05:06
  3. Thursday and champin
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2006, 15:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •