• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

rocking the fingertip?

" 'Walk' the index finger up the back of the hand by bending and unbending the first joint, rocking the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back."

Which part is "the lower edge of the fingernail and back"?
    What does it mean by "rocking the fingertip to" this part?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Re: rocking the fingertip?

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    " 'Walk' the index finger up the back of the hand by bending and unbending the first joint, rocking the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back."

Which part is "the lower edge of the fingernail and back"?
    What does it mean by "rocking the fingertip to" this part?
    Put your left hand flat down. Then put the index finger of the right hand on it in a vertical position.Then start bending the first part(you'll see that you can bend only the first part) of the index finger and inbending.When you unbend it, you'll notice that it slides forward a bit. So if you continue doing that, you'll end up walking up the back of your hand.

I don't know if I 've made myself clear. 'Rocking' here would be due to the bending and unbending movement.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Thanks! Your explanation is very clear.
    I can understand how the movement works.
    But ... I still don't understand the part about "the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back."
    The same text has another sentence that says "the walking motion of this technique is produced by a slight rocking action from the fingertip to the edge of the fingernail."
    Isn't fingertip the same part as the edge of the fingernail?
    When it says "rocking the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back", does it mean move the fingertip of one hand forward until it reaches the edge of the fingernail of another hand and then moves back again?
    I hope I've made my question clear...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    Thanks! Your explanation is very clear.
    I can understand how the movement works.
    But ... I still don't understand the part about "the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back."
    The same text has another sentence that says "the walking motion of this technique is produced by a slight rocking action from the fingertip to the edge of the fingernail."
    Isn't fingertip the same part as the edge of the fingernail?When it says "rocking the fingertip to the lower edge of the fingernail and back", does it mean move the fingertip of one hand forward until it reaches the edge of the fingernail of another hand and then moves back again?
    I hope I've made my question clear...
    No, they're not the same. The fingertip is the tip (the fleshy part) of the finger whilst the edge of the finger nail is just that-the nail part.
    Imagine you're pressing something with your finger. You move your finger back and forth. When it's back you're touching with your fingertip and when the movement is forward you're touching with the fingernail.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I was thinking about this, and realized that there is a meaning of 'walk' here that is not in all dictionaries - 'Move by small amounts, with a rocking motion'. You do this when you're moving a heavy piece of furniture that you can't lift:

In order to paint the wall, he had to walk the wardrobe out into the middle of the room.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

walk:to move (a box, trunk, or other object) in a manner suggestive of walking, as by a rocking motion.