random scrutiny

Unaccounted wealth worth Rs 35,000 crore, 10 Swiss bank accounts, prime property in metro cities, stud farms and Hawala connection.

What started out as a random scrutiny by the Income Tax department is turning out to be perhaps the biggest case in the history of India’s I-T investigations.

The taxmen claim to have nettedPune-based businessman and racehorse owner Hasan Ali, who could well turn out to be India’s fourth richest man.

The Enforcement Directorate is now waiting for Ali’s account details from the Swiss Bank to finally nail him.

Please explain the highlighted words.
    Last edited by user_gary; 10-Mar-2007 at 11:18.

Re: random scrutiny

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Unaccounted wealth worth Rs 35,000 crore, 10 Swiss bank accounts, prime property in metro cities, stud farms and Hawala connection.

What started out as a random scrutiny by the Income Tax department is turning out to be perhaps the biggest case in the history of India’s I-T investigations.

The taxmen claim to have nettedPune-based businessman and racehorse owner Hasan Ali, who could well turn out to be India’s fourth richest man.

The Enforcement Directorate is now waiting for Ali’s account details from the Swiss Bank to finally nail him.

Please explain the highlighted words.
    random : done without plan
    scrutiny : close examination

random scrutiny - in this extract the examination of financial evidence carried out without plan. The people doing this will select the accounts to be examined without choosing them from a list.

claim to have netted : fishermen use nets to catch fish. This phrase is saying the taxmen have caught Hasan Ali trying to avoid paying his full taxes.

Enforcement Directorate The department in the Indian Tax Office which deals with cases of tax evasion and enforces the legal requirements. They are hoping to establish Hasan Ali's wrongdoing on the basis of the accounts from the Swiss bank.

Thank you very much -- anglika -- for your help in all my threads.

But I think, you forgot to tell about (nail him) which I have highlighted because I can't understand it.

Also, please explain "could well turn out to be" means in this paragraph
    Last edited by user_gary; 10-Mar-2007 at 11:19.

I didn't ignore "nail him" - the tax people hope to catch Ali through the information contained in the records to be received from Switzerland - they hope to nail him : in this context a metaphor for catching him.