Use of "PREPOSITIONS"

He fled the country.
    or
    He fled from the country.

Please tell me the general rule regarding the use of "prepositions" in English.Tell me after what verbs we are supposed to use a preposition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Use of "PREPOSITIONS"

The verb "fled" in "*He fled from the country" is a transitive verb (verb that denotes an action which passes over from the subject to an object) and has the meaning " ran away from". The preposition "from" therefore is redundant, i.e., not required. The correct sentence should read: "He fled the country."

Some intransitive verbs may become transitive by adding a preposition to them. When you want to show the relation between the action expressed by a verb and a noun, you use a preposition after the verb. Many verbs, when followed by a preposition, take on an idiomatic sense.

Hi, Umeshkumar,
    There is no general rule for prepositions; perhaps a 200-page book would tell you all about them...
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhaheart View Post
    The verb "fled" in "*He fled from the country" is a transitive verb (verb that denotes an action which passes over from the subject to an object) and has the meaning " ran away from". The preposition "from" therefore is redundant, i.e., not required. The correct sentence should read: "He fled the country."

Some intransitive verbs may become transitive by adding a preposition to them. When you want to show the relation between the action expressed by a verb and a noun, you use a preposition after the verb. Many verbs, when followed by a preposition, take on an idiomatic sense.
    thank you