1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Will

Hello!

I have to write a composition to talk about an imaginary house. I want to say:

"I want my house to have three floors. It will have five enormous bathrooms".

My question is, since I'm talking about an imaginary situation can I use "will" or should I use "would"?

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Will

Hello Gps, welcome to Using English!

Your first sentence ("I want my house to have three floors") suggests that your task is to describe your ideal home.

In such a context, the use of "will" makes the description seem more vivid, immediate, and (perhaps) achievable, while "would" imparts a more remote quality.

Cf. this characteristic pair (from Google):

1. My dream house would have a sandalwood candle in every corner of every room.

2. My dream house will have 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms and 1 half bath.

MrP

Re: Will

Quote Originally Posted by Gps View Post
    Hello!

I have to write a composition to talk about an imaginary house. I want to say:

"I want my house to have three floors. It will have five enormous bathrooms".

My question is, since I'm talking about an imaginary situation can I use "will" or should I use "would"?

Thanks in advance.
    Mr P slipped in ahead of me there with a more precise, less rambling response.

It's not always whether the situation is imaginary or not, Gps. It's how the speaker wants to view it or have it viewed by listeners. Native English speakers [ENLs] often use less tentative modals forms even for an imaginary situation because they want it to seem more real.

Imagine two people lost in the desert, close to dying where the chance of rescue seems slim.

A: I'm going to have a big chocolate shake right before I chow down on a 16 ounce T-bone. What are you going to have?

They could use 'be going to', even where it seems to be a remote possibility, to make things seem more likely.