why phrasal verbs avoided

From my experience , and experiences of many others I know who are learning English , it seems rather difficult for nonnative to use phrasal verbs as the natives do, in the contrary they find it easier to use the single word which apparently avoided by those who speak it as a mother tongue! The question may sound psychological,, but Id like to know the reason or the factor which encourages natives while thwarting for leaner?

Re: why phrasal verbs avoided

Quote Originally Posted by AliAbd View Post
    From my experience , and experiences of many others I know who are learning English , it seems rather difficult for nonnative to use phrasal verbs as the natives do, [in] on the contrary they find it easier to use the single word which is apparently avoided by those who speak it as a mother tongue! The question may sound psychological,, but I'd like to know the reason or the factor which encourages natives to use phrasals while thwarting leaners?
    Hello AliAbd,

We ENLs use phrasal verbs for everyday language because they're more friendly, inclusive, and warmer than "single verbs", which tend to be used in more formal situations.

I agree with RK, and, not to state the obvious, but because we haven't had to "learn" phrasal verbs, but rather "acquire" them, the challenges in memorising all the preposition combinations are simple not as great for native speakers. Prepositions are often my students' biggest bug bear

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Also, native speakers can usually get the meaning when they hear a new one, but this is often much more difficult for non-native speakers. Non-native speakers who use the language a lot and have a lot of contact often use a lot of phrasal verbs too, probably because they get them from the language around them rather than having to look at lists or dictionaries.