about "like a scow" and a few more questions

This is again from a novel. Could you help me with this?
    In the novel, the pregnant wife is described as follows. "He" is the husband.

Even in morning disarray, with a belly like a scow, she was majestically good-looking. Her hair had the bright lacquered look of wet fallen oak leaves in sunlight. He blamed her for being born to privilege and admired her efforts to overcome it---and all the while he loved her, too.

Q1: A dictionary says that a scow is "a large flat-bottomed boat with broad square ends used chiefly for transporting bulk material (as ore, sand, or refuse) "...but does it apply in this case?
    The belly of a pregnant woman sounds round rather than square to me.

Q2: Does this mean that he blamed her because she was born to be beautiful (she didn't make an effort for that) but admired her because she made efforts??? What did she overcome?

Q3: When is "all the while"? All the while he blamed her and admired her? ... or, all the while they were together (there's no mention of it, though)?

Re: about "like a scow" and a few more questions

Quote Originally Posted by pink dragon View Post
    This is again from a novel. Could you help me with this?
    In the novel, the pregnant wife is described as follows. "He" is the husband.

Even in morning disarray, with a belly like a scow, she was majestically good-looking. Her hair had the bright lacquered look of wet fallen oak leaves in sunlight. He blamed her for being born to privilege and admired her efforts to overcome it---and all the while he loved her, too.

Q1: A dictionary says that a scow is "a large flat-bottomed boat with broad square ends used chiefly for transporting bulk material (as ore, sand, or refuse) "...but does it apply in this case?
    The belly of a pregnant woman sounds round rather than square to me. A scow has a bulky effect, so it works here - her pregnancy makes her large and cumbersome.

Q2: Does this mean that he blamed her because she was born to be beautiful (she didn't make an effort for that) but admired her because she made efforts??? What did she overcome? No - rather it is an inversion. She is born into the priviliged classes, but has joined the proletarian class. ?what novel is this?

Q3: When is "all the while"? All the while he blamed her and admired her? ... or, all the while they were together (there's no mention of it, though)? "all the while" = " all the time"
    //

Thank you, Anglika!
    This is from "WICKED; The life and Times of hte Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory maguire. 
    Here↓
    Wicked (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I found this ↑ after I posted my questions. It says Elphaba is born to Melena, a descendant of the Eminent Thropp, and Frexspar, an itinerant unionist minister.

I understand about Q1, but I'm still not sure about Q2 and Q3.

Q2:
    So...he blamed her for being born as a descendant of the Eminent Thropp (a sirname or title?) but admired her because she made efforts as a wife of an itinerant unionist minister?
    (What is a unionist minister, by the way?)

Q3: Let me make sure.
    "All the time" = "Always" in this case? so, not limited to when he is blaming and admiring her?

Quote Originally Posted by pink dragon View Post
    Thank you, Anglika!
    This is from "WICKED; The life and Times of hte Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory maguire. 
    Here↓
    Wicked (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I found this ↑ after I posted my questions. It says Elphaba is born to Melena, a descendant of the Eminent Thropp, and Frexspar, an itinerant unionist minister.

I understand about Q1, but I'm still not sure about Q2 and Q3.

Q2:
    So...he blamed her for being born as a descendant of the Eminent Thropp (a sirname or title?) but admired her because she made efforts as a wife of an itinerant unionist minister?
    (What is a unionist minister, by the way?) This book is fantasy, so you have to take the content with a grain of salt. "the Eminent Thropp" seems to be a sort of title, but without reading the book I can't tell if it is a Mr Thropp who is eminent, or a peculiar title. Unionist minister - again without reading the book, I don't know what the author means, but it could be seen as similar to Methodist or Baptist - ie non-conformist and, as itinerant, poor.

Q3: Let me make sure.
    "All the time" = "Always" in this case? so, not limited to when he is blaming and admiring her?
    Exactly

Thank you, Anglika.
    OK, now it's clear about Q3.

About Q2...
    Concerning what he blamed and admired for, is my above understanding correct?

Yes.

Thank you!
    You are a great help