wherever I would go / wherever I went

Hi!

Which of the following sentences is correct?

- If I were you, I would ask for fish and chips wherever I would go.
    - If I were you, I would ask for fish and chips wherever I went.

Is it completely wrong to use "would go"?

Mia

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: wherever I would go / wherever I went

No it's not completly wrong, and boy would I like those fish and chips. If I ask for fish and chips here, most people don't know what I mean.

It sounds very poetic though, use the latter, unless you are writing a song about fish and chips.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Russell View Post
    No it's not completly wrong, and boy would I like those fish and chips. If I ask for fish and chips here, most people don't know what I mean.

It sounds very poetic though, use the latter, unless you are writing a song about fish and chips.

I'm wondering if this sentence is correct.

If I were you, I would ask for fish and chips wherever I go.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Usually when giving advice like that you use the past tense. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, though. If it is for an exam, use the past tense sentence that you posted earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Russell View Post
    Usually when giving advice like that you use the past tense. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, though. If it is for an exam, use the past tense sentence that you posted earlier.
    Actually, I'm not the one who first asked the question.
    I read and asked out of curiosity.
    But thank you for your nice explanation!

p.s. I wouldn't get too hung up about it, though. <-- I guess you mean that it is ok to use "go" in the sentence in informal writing. right?
    Last edited by siruss; 15-Mar-2007 at 21:17.

I may be way off here, but I don't agree that "wherever I would go" is correct. For one (and most importantly), I don't think the second subordinate clause takes the conditional counterpart "would" agreement, only the main clause "I would ask for..". For another, "wherever I would go" carries the meaning of wherever I went as a habit in the past (e.g. I would go to McDonalds every Friday when I was in high school), so it just confuses the matter.

"wherever I went" is fine and is in 2nd conditional agreement with the "if-clause" (I am not you now (If I were...I would...) wherever you go now [and don't or I don't know if you do or not] (wherever you went)

"wherever I go" is also fine as a mixed conditional for present and future ( I am not you now (If I were...I would...) wherever you go in the future (wherever you go)

Hope that doesn't mix you up!

Quote Originally Posted by fiona bramble View Post
    I may be way off here, but I don't agree that "wherever I would go" is correct. For one (and most importantly), I don't think the second subordinate clause takes the conditional counterpart "would" agreement, only the main clause "I would ask for..". For another, "wherever I would go" carries the meaning of wherever I went as a habit in the past (e.g. I would go to McDonalds every Friday when I was in high school), so it just confuses the matter.

"wherever I went" is fine and is in 2nd conditional agreement with the "if-clause" (I am not you now (If I were...I would...) wherever you go now [and don't or I don't know if you do or not] (wherever you went)

"wherever I go" is also fine as a mixed conditional for present and future ( I am not you now (If I were...I would...) wherever you go in the future (wherever you go)

Hope that doesn't mix you up!

Your explanation works for me!
    I think it is persuasive.
    Thank you very much.
    (I'm not the one who fist asked a question, though)