need help with phrases.

1. "I'll do the rest." ( is "rest" correct?) like in :I'll do the rest of it.

2. "If you'd only listen to me, we could've .....( is "listen" the correct verb tense" cause i think if it was "you had" then the verb would be "listened" but if it was "you would" then the verb would be "listen" )
    thanks

Re: need help with phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by market View Post
    1. "I'll do the rest." ( is "rest" correct?) like in :I'll do the rest of it.

2. "If you'd only listen to me, we could've .....( is "listen" the correct verb tense" cause i think if it was "you had" then the verb would be "listened" but if it was "you would" then the verb would be "listen" )
    thanks
    1. yes
    2. If you would only listen to me -- okay, tentative request, distancing by using past tense of 'will'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by market View Post
    thanks
    Both 'listen' and 'listened' are possible, but 'listen' is unlikely (impossible - I'll have to think about this) given the context ('could've'):

If you'd [would] only listen to me, we could make millions.

If you'd [had] only listened to me, we could've made millions.

(Given the fact that the dental consonant /d/ is followed by another dental, /t/ in the second one, it may, in practice, be next to imperceptible; but it should be there.)

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Both 'listen' and 'listened' are possible, but 'listen' is unlikely (impossible - I'll have to think about this) given the context ('could've'):

If you'd [would] only listen to me, we could make millions.

If you'd [had] only listened to me, we could've made millions.

(Given the fact that the dental consonant /d/ is followed by another dental, /t/ in the second one, it may, in practice, be next to imperceptible; but it should be there.)

b
    on second thought i think i should put "listened" because he is talking about something that happened a minute ago.