1. Fabíola C. de Figueirędo

Exclamation Ever and never

I've got questions about how to use ever in the sentences. Could you please help me?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Ever and never

You should only use one negative in a sentence (except for the ones which are actually two sentences combined into one by conjunctions). Never is a negative. Therefore, if you really want to emphasize, only use one negative (never) and the rest are 'ever'. Never, ever do that again!

Also, ever is usually used in questions. Most commonly we say Have you ever been to France? If you say Have you never been to France?, it is correct though we seldom use it. The answer will be different too, I think.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabíola C. de Figueirędo View Post
    I've got questions about how to use ever in the sentences. Could you please help me?
    Yes, we can help you, but you need to be more specific with your questions. What kind of questions do you have? Are they in regards to sentence structure? Do you have problems avoiding the use of double negatives? Perhaps you need help with contracting? Try to be more specific, then perhaps we'll know where to tackle your problem from.