Unhappy Please Help!

Which one is correct & why:
    "A stable currency is of course not without its disadvantages , but it falls upon the bank to stop any unpleasant inflationary aftermaths"
    OR
    "A stable currency is of course not without its merits, but it falls upon the bank to stop any unpleasant inflationary fallout"
    I think it is the first one, but my teacher is adamant about the second one being correct...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Please Help!

Hello Light,

1. A stable currency is of course not without its disadvantages, but it falls upon the bank to stop any unpleasant inflationary aftermaths.

2. A stable currency is of course not without its merits, but it falls upon the bank to stop any unpleasant inflationary fallout.

Both versions are grammatically correct; but I have some reservations about the content and the choice of words:

i) In both versions, the link between the material in the first and second clauses is unclear.

ii) "Falls upon" is not incorrect; but I would expect the more neutral "falls to", in such a context. ("X falls upon Y" implies that X is a burden which Y may not be happy to receive; whereas "X falls to Y" simply means that X is Y's responsibility.)

iii) "Aftermaths" is not incorrect; but it would be more usual to say "aftermath", in such a context.

iv) I'm not sure "stop...fallout" and "stop...aftermaths" are ideal phrases, in this context.

All the best,

MrP