Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #1

    distand teapot etc.

    Dear teachers,

    I have three questions to ask:

    No. 1
    When the alarm rang it sounded like a distant teapot. My question is " why 'teapot'?

    No.2
    A funny moment in the show is _______ th ebad guy falls into a pile of wet cement.
    a. when d. that
    The key is 'a'. My question is why isn't 'b' correct?

    No.3
    Freu said that to have mental health a person ______ to be able to love and to work.
    a. is expected b. has
    The key is 'b'. My question is; why isn't 'a' correct?

    Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  1. Ayuda-Tulong's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 93
    #2

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    Jiang,

    No. 1
    When the alarm rang it sounded like a distant teapot. My question is " why 'teapot'?
    When you make tea on the stove, the teapot whistles to let you know the water has boiled. Its sound is similar to an alarm.

    No.2
    A funny moment in the show is _______ the bad guy falls into a pile of wet cement.
    a. when d. that
    The key is 'a'. My question is why isn't 'b' correct?
    Because the phrase 'funny moment' refers to a time, or a time period. Therefore, the word 'when' is appropriate. If it had said, "A funny thing that happens in the show is that . . . , " then 'b'would be correct.

    No.3
    Freud said that to have mental health a person ______ to be able to love and to work.
    a. is expected b. has
    The key is 'b'. My question is; why isn't 'a' correct?

    You are absolutely correct; 'a' is th appropriate answer, and 'b' makes no sense whatsoever.
    Last edited by Ayuda-Tulong; 18-Mar-2007 at 06:52. Reason: Spelling errors.

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuda-Tulong View Post
    Jiang,

    No. 1
    When the alarm rang it sounded like a distant teapot. My question is " why 'teapot'?
    When you make tea on the stove, the teapot whistles to let you know the water has boiled. Its sound is similar to an alarm.
    ...

    No.3
    Freud said that to have mental health a person ______ to be able to love and to work.
    a. is expected b. has
    The key is 'b'. My question is; why isn't 'a' correct?

    You are absolutely correct; 'a' is th appropriate answer, and 'b' makes no sense whatsoever.
    Footnotes to 1 and 3.

    1: The character may have been using a Teasmade (Teawaker in the US): Teasmade Home Page
    3: I don't see why 'b' makes no sense whatsoever; but I agree that 'a' works too (though it's a bit fuzzy about what Freud thought - so that I prefer 'b').

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #4

    Re: distand teapot etc.


    Dear Ayuda-Tulong,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Have a nice weekend.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuda-Tulong View Post
    Jiang,

    No. 1
    When the alarm rang it sounded like a distant teapot. My question is " why 'teapot'?
    When you make tea on the stove, the teapot whistles to let you know the water has boiled. Its sound is similar to an alarm.

    No.2
    A funny moment in the show is _______ the bad guy falls into a pile of wet cement.
    a. when d. that
    The key is 'a'. My question is why isn't 'b' correct?
    Because the phrase 'funny moment' refers to a time, or a time period. Therefore, the word 'when' is appropriate. If it had said, "A funny thing that happens in the show is that . . . , " then 'b'would be correct.

    No.3
    Freud said that to have mental health a person ______ to be able to love and to work.
    a. is expected b. has
    The key is 'b'. My question is; why isn't 'a' correct?

    You are absolutely correct; 'a' is th appropriate answer, and 'b' makes no sense whatsoever.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #5

    Re: distand teapot etc.


    You give me different answers. What should I do?

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Footnotes to 1 and 3.

    1: The character may have been using a Teasmade (Teawaker in the US): Teasmade Home Page
    3: I don't see why 'b' makes no sense whatsoever; but I agree that 'a' works too (though it's a bit fuzzy about what Freud thought - so that I prefer 'b').

    b

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post

    You give me different answers. What should I do?

    Jiang
    Different, but they don't have to change your answers. Re (1), I just mentioned this as another possibility; the novelist may have had either of these explanations in mind, and in both cases boiling water is involved.

    Re (3), as I said, either answer seems to me acceptable.

    b

  4. queenbu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031
    #7

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    I don't think a question like that should be in an English exercise because it depends on what Freud was thinking. Both are grammatically correct.
    "Mental health was described by Sigmund Freud as the ability to work and love."
    So b is the correct one in this case, but not because a is grammatically wrong..

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #8

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    Dear BobK,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.

    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Different, but they don't have to change your answers. Re (1), I just mentioned this as another possibility; the novelist may have had either of these explanations in mind, and in both cases boiling water is involved.

    Re (3), as I said, either answer seems to me acceptable.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Nov 2003
    • Posts: 2,715
    #9

    Re: distand teapot etc.

    Dear queenbu,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
    Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by queenbu View Post
    I don't think a question like that should be in an English exercise because it depends on what Freud was thinking. Both are grammatically correct.
    "Mental health was described by Sigmund Freud as the ability to work and love."
    So b is the correct one in this case, but not because a is grammatically wrong..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •