Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Blue Bird's Avatar

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 379

    Question I want to ask you

    Hi again,
    I am just wondering the name of the term that you use to make a word smaller like bird-birdy, cute-cutie, and do boys use it more than girls or girls more and what for?
    In Arabic, we use this method either to disdain someone or to praise him, and old people use it more than young ones..

    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434

    Re: I want to ask you

    An "endearment"

  2. queenbu's Avatar
    Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 1,031

    Re: I want to ask you


    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 6

    Re: I want to ask you

    I think, it can be called "diminutive"...but what about "kitty" fron "kitten"...In Romania, we use these types of words when we are, let's say childish, or we want to be so close to our friends....or we like to be sweet.

  3. Editor,
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,232

    Re: I want to ask you

    They can be used in the same way in English; we can use them in a sweet way or an disdainful way.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts