Question future progressive

Hi, Fiona

I really found your explanations in previous queries perfectly clear.
    I wonder if you could help me out with this other querie I have:

I know that both Future Progressive and Present Continuous can be used to talk about future arrangements. But what exactly is the difference? Is there any at all?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Re: future progressive

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaSofia View Post
    Hi, Fiona

I really found your explanations in previous queries perfectly clear.
    I wonder if you could help me out with this other querie I have:

I know that both Future Progressive and Present Continuous can be used to talk about future arrangements. But what exactly is the difference? Is there any at all?

Thanks a lot!!!!
    Hi again!
    Generally (and if you hear/see exceptions, I'd love to hear about them!):

The present continuous (to express the future) is used for future actions or events that have been arranged/planned: "I'm going out for dinner tonight"

The future continuous is used for: future actions/events that will be in progress at a certain time in the future: "By 6:00, I'll be eating a big steak at Joe's restaurant"

The future continuous is also used for: predictions or expected trends (in progress): "By 2050, most people will be driving hybrid cars"

Remember that sometimes, just like in any language, context is understood or assumed and you may not hear some of the markers that signal the choice in verb form. For example:
    If someone just asked " Hey, can you meet us after work tonight?", the other might respond with "I'll be hiking up Grouse Mountain" (using the future cont. not the pres. cont.), meaning "At 6 o'clock tonight, I'll be hiking up Grouse Mountain". Both parties already know the "when", so it may not be explicitly stated, but is understood.

Hope that helps!
    Fiona

Smile Re: future progressive

Ok. Thanks!
    But how about this example?

Don't count on me next Monday. I'll be travelling on business.

(Does this focus on the arrangement nature of the future action or on the impossibility to fulfil another action???)

Thanks!!!

Ok. Thanks!
    But how about this example?

Don't count on me next Monday. I'll be travelling on business.

(Does this focus on the arrangement nature of the future action or on the impossibility to fulfil another action???)

Thanks!!!
    This example fits exactly into "By 6:00, I'll be eating..."; the future continuous for future events in progress at a certain time in the future.
    "Next Monday" is the time marker.So, yes, in your words, "the impossibility to fulfil another action"...I like that!

Smile Re: future progressive

Hi, Fiona

This is an excerpt from an invitation to some seminars. There's an example of Future progressive. Isn't that an example of an arrangement, or plan?

At present there are four SIGs open: Language and Phonology, Literature, Applied Linguistics or Methodology and Computer SIG. We will soon be sending you the 1st meeting dates and we hope you will join them.

Hi, Fiona

This is an excerpt from an invitation to some seminars. There's an example of Future progressive. Isn't that an example of an arrangement, or plan?

At present there are four SIGs open: Language and Phonology, Literature, Applied Linguistics or Methodology and Computer SIG. We will soon be sending you the 1st meeting dates and we hope you will join them.
    Good example CS! I think this falls into the-native-speaker-assumes-a-context category I mentioned. The "soon" seems vague but it is a certain period of time nonetheless.

I totally agree with you that the distinction between this seemingly planned event and "something in progress at a certain time in the future" seems pretty blurry. Obviously, they are planning to send something. However, I wouldn't use the present continuous here myself (if I had written the invitation) because although we are planning to send them, it seems the dates haven't been set yet and though the intention is there, it is not as solid a plan as "I'm meeting Jim tonight at 7", which is indisputably a definite arrangement. Furthermore, if the invitation said "We are sending you the dates...", I would expect a clearer time frame, like "next week". So there is some nuance here that a native speaker would pick up on but that might make it difficult for a non-native speaker to choose naturally Of course!!

Take Care
    Fiona

Hi, Fiona!
    As usual, an outsanding explanation. Thanks a lot!
    Carla

My pleasure Carla!