correct sentences

1: crucial to Ving or crucial to V :
    "......education is crucial to reducing the gap between the rich and poor..... "
    Can you give me an explaination for this? I checked through google and realized that it seems true both of them .
    2: "despite that clause "can be acceptable or not?
    "This is true that improving education has been the top priority for nations around the world for decades "
    I have never seen this before . Can it be acceptable ?
    3:" the committe for computer science democratization has provided these and other poor children in Brazil in access to computers with the hope that technological link will better..."
    As i know ,provide has two type: Provide something for somebody and provide somebody with something .But in this sentence ,i dont see a structure like that .

4: i meet some words like : problem solving , decision making .... .Can you let me know what is the rule to create that type of nouns?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: correct sentences

Quote Originally Posted by Ngoc_Trong_May View Post
    1: crucial to Ving or crucial to V :

4: i meet some words like : problem solving , decision making .... .Can you let me know what is the rule to create that type of nouns?
    In general, any verb with an object, can be expressed in this format, for example,

love books--book loving--book-loving people

Bu in reality, not many verb-object combinations are turned into this kind of noun+gerund structure, as whether to use it or not depends on convention. Also when you turn the combination into noun+gerund structure, it has to be qualified as a real category or concept. For example, we say turn pages, but seldom we say "page turning", as this is not used so frequently as a clear category, unless you have a situation in which page turning is required to form a clear concept, such as we need a page turning machine, because currently page turning takes too much time.

My two cents.

Thanks ian ,your answer is so helpful to me .It seems so risky to combine words like that by me.
    But,with three other questions ,nobody answers for me? I am learning how to correct paragraphs, so it is very important to know clearly them

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[quote=Ngoc_Trong_May;161387]1: crucial to Ving or crucial to V :
    "......education is crucial to reducing the gap between the rich and poor..... "
    Can you give me an explaination for this? I checked through google and realized that it seems true both of them .
    quote]

We say something is crucial to doing, not to do, because TO here is not a particle used before infinitive, like we usually say it is hard to read. But in this case, after crucial, we need a noun or noun-like word. For example, you say The books are crucial to educating kids, but you can change educating phrase to a noun, like you can say Something is crucial to my brother. This is the same as "to" in another context. We say "look forward to seeing you", but never should we say "look forward to see you", as TO in this case is preposition. So the general rule is:

After TO as a particle before infinitive, use to do
    After TO as a preposition, use to doing...

Hope this helps.

If no one answers your other questions, you can post them again.

Thanks ian . But in the first one ,i dont think it is a noun .I think it is V. And really sorry for this question ,i checked again through google ( of course) and realized my vision in error for the number of results .However ,i appreciate your kindness so much . Thanks . I will post them again,too

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

education is crucial to reducing the gap between the rich and poor

Reducing here is not noun. It is a gerund functioning as a noun.

. Thanks you one million ,ian . Yes , crucial will be followed by nouns , and reducing is a noun is proper .
    My knowledge is so shallow