• Post Thanks / Like

Question question

Which one is the correct answer?
    His father died when he was eleven and so he had to go out to work. He showed early _________ as a writer, producing humorous stories for several newspapers when he was still only sixteen.
    (A) promise (B) passion
    Thanks!

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: question

Hello Mayclaire,

Perhaps you could try to answer the question yourself. Which of the two words that are offered as answers do you prefer, and why?

Kind regards,

Patrick

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mayclaire View Post
    Which one is the correct answer?
    His father died when he was eleven and so he had to go out to work. He showed early _________ as a writer, producing humorous stories for several newspapers when he was still only sixteen.
    (A) promise (B) passion
    Thanks!
    Promise, meaning that he is sure to be a good writer one day - "I promise to write well one day".

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your answer. How about "He showed early passion for writing"? Is it correct? If so, why is "he showed early passion as a writer" not acceptable? That's my question!
    Sorry to bother you!

• Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, the question is not good because either word could be valid. It depends on what the rest of paragraph contains and what the resulting context is.

Whether he had passion, or promise, doesn't depend on the death of his father.

He could have had (1)promise, (2)passion, (3)both, or (4)neither!

1. He could be a promising writer (meaning that he showed indications that he could become a really good writer, not necessarily interesting or passionate about anything, but good at writing stories).

2. He could have written with passion (meaning that he really put himself into his writing so that you could tell how much he cared about it, but not necessarily written in good English).

3. He could be a promising writer, writing good English, and with a whole load of passion about the subject the was writing about.

4. He could have been quite simply rubbish! eg. My dad died - so what?.

• Post Thanks / Like

The clue is in the word that follows the blank. 'Promise as', but not 'passion as'. That would be 'passion for'.

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: question

I appreciate all your help. I am touched when I see you are willing to offer me help. Your answers have inspired me to think more and understand English more. Sometimes I feel helpless when I can't find any answer even though I consult a dictionary or do whatever I can. This is the best website that I have ever accessed.