• Post Thanks / Like

trundlers

The Scotland batsmen paid the price for injudicious strokeplay on a pitch that offered movement off the seam with the new ball.

That made the Netherlands's collection of trundlers look lethal as they reduced Scotland to 15 for four in the seventh over.

Ryan Watson and Neil McCallum steadied the innings with a stand of 24 for the fifth wicket before McCallum and Colin Smith added 38 runs to push Scotland past the half-century mark.

Please explain the highlighted words.trudn
    Last edited by user_gary; 23-Mar-2007 at 05:54.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: trundlers

When the batsman hits the ball, he plays a stroke, so I assume it means that they batted without enough care or judgment.
    (there may be a more precise meaning, known to someone like BobK- I am not a big fan of cricket)
    Trundle- move in a clumsy way; they're not very good bowlers
    A stand- they scored these runs together and stopped the wickets falling for a while

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: trundlers

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    When the batsman hits the ball, he plays a stroke, so I assume it means that they batted without enough care or judgment.
    (there may be a more precise meaning, known to someone like BobK- I am not a big fan of cricket)
    Trundle- move in a clumsy way; they're not very good bowlers
    A stand- they scored these runs together and stopped the wickets falling for a while
    I've no special 'spin' to add on the subject of strokeplay.

Trundle - not just clumsy, but slow. Slow bowling is not necessarily bad, but the fastest international bowlers approach 90 mph, whereas the Dutch barely reached that number in kph.

Stand - Tdol is right in this context. The word 'stand' has another special meaning in cricket - it's the verb for 'being one of the umpires on the pitch': "'Dicky' Bird stood in a record number of matches." [I specified 'on the pitch' because the 3rd umpire, who watches a TV monitor, probably sits.]

b