I've got or I have ?

I am helping a Asian neighbor with her English. She wrote the following sentence: I've got a headache. I corrected her: I have a headache. I was always taught that "I've got" was incorrect. She said that she remembered beign taught this in school. Which is correct? Is this a British/American difference?

Thanks,
    Ammie

Re: I've got or I have ?

Basically both are correct. I've got is more informal, i.e. spoken type of expression. Its more popularly used like , Diana said,"I've got ......" like in a 'reported' dialogue format. Whereas 'I have' is more used in formal and written form, like essay or reporting statements etc. have fun..

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet* View Post
    I am helping a Asian neighbor with her English. She wrote the following sentence: I've got a headache. I corrected her: I have a headache. I was always taught that "I've got" was incorrect. She said that she remembered beign taught this in school. Which is correct? Is this a British/American difference?

Thanks,
    Ammie
    I have = I have got [Bot are same]
    I have got is most often used in spoken English especially in India and is informal.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Ammie

Just an observation. Have and have got mean the same under some contexts only:

We have a shower/I had lunch/ for example cannot be replaced by the form 'have got', basically because 'have got' is used when explaining 'possession' and is never used in a tense different from 'simple present'.
    Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JoséManuel View Post
    Just an observation. Have and have got mean the same under some contexts only:

We have a shower/I had lunch/ for example cannot be replaced by the form 'have got', basically because 'have got' is used when explaining 'possession' and is never used in a tense different from 'simple present'.
    Hope it helps.
    That is a very important point Jose Manuel! You're right but, in my part of the world, in can also mean the semi-modal "have to", as in "I have got to go" (Often said "gotta") and, just to add, one can even hear "I got" or "I gotta" (semi-modal) leaving the "have" out all together!