1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Past Participle

Hello,
    I'am a student currently studying in China . And the other day a Chinese student who is studying came up to me with a problem.
    She had to find all the 'past participle' verbs in a paragraph.
    Here it is:
    "It is my pleasure to welcome you to the city of Toowoomba." This is how Councillor Lyle Shelton greeted 137 new international students at their official welcome held at the Southern Cross University campus.
    At first i thought that "held ' (in red), was the only verb. But the student then said to me that her Foreign teacher from America told her that "greeted"( In green) was also a past participle.
    What do you think? If it's true can you please post me a reply.
    Thanks,

Re: Past Participle

Yes both are verbs and both might be simple past in your context. [I guess]

because simple past and past participle have same forms for (hold, greet)
    hold = simple present
    held = simple past
    held = past participle

greet = simple present
    greeted = simple past
    greeted = past participle

So, held might be simple past in your context.
    Similarly greeted also simple past in your context.

I hope other members/moderators will clarify your doubts more clearly.
    Last edited by user_gary; 25-Mar-2007 at 09:52. Reason: unwanted material deleted

Quote Originally Posted by JCG View Post
    Hello,
    I'am a student currently studying in China . And the other day a Chinese student who is studying came up to me with a problem.
    She had to find all the 'past participle' verbs in a paragraph.
    Here it is:
    "It is my pleasure to welcome you to the city of Toowoomba." This is how Councillor Lyle Shelton greeted 137 new international students at their official welcome held at the Southern Cross University campus.
    At first i thought that "held ' (in red), was the only verb. But the student then said to me that her Foreign teacher from America told her that "greeted"( In green) was also a past participle.
    What do you think? If it's true can you please post me a reply.
    Thanks,
    past participle is the third form of a verb, irrespective of grammatical function.

Welcome, JCG.

In addition, there are 5 verbs in all. Three are definitely not past participles. I've marked those off in blue; one is definitely a past participle, and it's not a 'verb' per se, it's part of a verb, notably elliptical, ...(which was) held at... The verb, greeted, as svartnik mentions, looks like a simple past verb as well as a past participle. It could be short for elliptical (had) greeted, which is a past perfect verb. Past perfect verbs, as you know, connect two events in time. The verb carrying past perfect morphology happens first in the series of events. Do you see two events connected here, and if so, can you establish that had greeted happened first? If you can, then, yes, you can safely say that greeted functions as a past participle. If, however, your can't find that connection, then greeted functions as a simple past verb.

All the best.

Thank you Casiopea. I too got it.

Oops, sorry, user_gary. It was you, not svartnik, who mentioned the simple past and the past participle of greet are identical in form. I was mistaken. My apologies.