• Post Thanks / Like

Two things in one paragraph

In the name of the mercifull Allah ,
    Hi , please guys read the following paragraph " the second big idea that shaped the early science of psychology arose in chemistry , where scientists had noticed patterns in properties of the chemical elements that led them to develop the periodic table . At one stroke , the periodic table made the processes underlying chemical reactions clear. This achievement particularly intrigued one Wilhelm Wundt .................".
    I'm asking , first, about " At one stroke" according to the context , I really don't get it at all . Then, what is the exactly meaning or the nearest synonym of "one" before the name of Wilhelm? , does it point out that Wilhelm is the only one who has been intrigued or what ?.
    Sorry for too much writing and thank you .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two things in one paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by the arrow of egypt View Post
    In the name of the mercifull Allah ,
    Hi , please guys read the following paragraph " the second big idea that shaped the early science of psychology arose in chemistry , where scientists had noticed patterns in properties of the chemical elements that led them to develop the periodic table . At one stroke , the periodic table made the processes underlying chemical reactions clear. This achievement particularly intrigued a certain Wilhelm Wundt .................".
    I'm asking , first, about " At one stroke" according to the context , I really don't get it at all . Then, what is the exactly meaning or the nearest synonym of "one" before the name of Wilhelm? , does it point out that Wilhelm is the only one who has been intrigued or what ?.
    Sorry for too much writing and thank you .
    American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms - Cite This Source
    at one stroke
    Also, at one blow; at a stroke or blow; in one stroke or blow. At the same time, with one forceful or quick action. For example, I managed to please both buyer and seller at one stroke. The first term is the older version, so used by Chaucer; at one blow was used by Shakespeare.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer.
    Copyright © 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.