• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

which sentense is correct?

which of the following is correct and why?

1. Anger has been determined by behavioral economists to make people assess situations more optimistically, downplay risks, and overestimate potential benefits, while fear affects this in the opposite way.

2. It has been determined by behavioral economists that anger makes people assess situations more optimistically, downplay risks, and potentially overestimate the benefits, while fear is affecting them in the opposite way.

3. Behavioral economists have determined anger to make people assess situations more optimistically, downplaying risks and potentially overestimating benefits; fear affects them in the opposite ways.

4. Behavioral economists have determined that anger makes people assess situations more optimistically, downplaying risks and overestimating potential benefits, and that fear has the opposite effect.

5. Behavioral economists have determined that anger, which makes people assesss situations more optimistically, downplay risks, and potentially overestimate the benefits, ahs the opposite effect of fear.

i think 5 is the correct answer. but the book says 4, which i think is wrong because of the construction "makes people assess... downplaying risk... overestimating..". what say you?

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Re: which sentense is correct?

I agree that 4 is correct. So I should tell you why 5 is incorrect, right?
    Behavioral economists have determined that anger, which makes people assesss situations more optimistically, downplay risks, and potentially overestimate the benefits, ahs the opposite effect of fear.

The point is on the fact that anger makes people assess situations more optimistically. Otherwise it would have been 'downplays risks, and potentially overestimates the benefits'.
    I'm sure you'll have loads of different answers from the experts.

q's MO

The information 'downplay risks, and potentially overestimate the benefits' is intended as a clarification of 'assesss situations more optimistically'.
    Sentence 5 does not present 'downplay' and 'overestimate' as clarifications for 'assess optimistically', but rather creates a list of three things that anger makes people do. In other words, sentence 5 says (in essence) 'Anger makes people assess, downplay and overestimate.' This isn't a logical grouping.

Sentence 4, on the other hand, gives two rather specific examples of what people do when they assess situations more optimistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    The information 'downplay risks, and potentially overestimate the benefits' is intended as a clarification of 'assesss situations more optimistically'.
    Sentence 5 does not present 'downplay' and 'overestimate' as clarifications for 'assess optimistically', but rather creates a list of three things that anger makes people do. In other words, sentence 5 says (in essence) 'Anger makes people assess, downplay and overestimate.' This isn't a logical grouping.

Sentence 4, on the other hand, gives two rather specific examples of what people do when they assess situations more optimistically.

Absolutely Philly! I probably would have added "by" before "downplaying etc.." for clarity but I'm assuming the text was trying to trip the student up!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

hello, Philly, you clearly explained what I was thinking.