having, being

Being an honest man, I should help others.

Having three pen, I can write my exams smoothly.

Is there any rule when to start a sentence with `having', `being'?

I mean it is which tense? e.g. (simple present, present perfect, past pefect, ......... etc.)

Please help me on this.

Re: having, being

I think- I studied this subject a few months ago though- that you can use a phrase starting with a gerund "ING FORM" to replace a reason or time close, whatever the tense and verb are.

e.g. Feeling hungry, I can eat three sandwiches. = Because I'm hungry, I can eat three sandwiches.

Having heard his shocking news, I wish I had helped him. = After I'd heard his shocking news, I wish I had helped him.

I hope I am right.

Quote Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
    I think- I studied this subject a few months ago though- that you can use a phrase starting with a gerund "ING FORM" to replace a reason or time close, whatever the tense and verb are.

e.g. Feeling hungry, I can eat three sandwiches. = Because I'm hungry, I can eat three sandwiches.

Having heard his shocking news, I wish I had helped him. = After I'd heard his shocking news, I wish I had helped him.

I hope I am right.
    Thank you Libya.

Is there any other verbs other than `having', `being' which could be used in the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Thank you Libya.

Is there any other verbs other than `having', `being' which could be used in the same way?
    Firstly, my name is Riyadh, the same as the capital city of Saudi Arabia, and I'm from Libya.

Regarding your question, I think you may use any verb this way.