Smile know

I wonder if we can use "know" as in the following sentence? I mean which one is right?As far as I know the first one is right but ???

I have been knowing her since 1980. or
    I have known her since 1980.

( I want to say I am still in touch with her)

Thanks in advance. Nihan

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Smile Re: know

"I have been knowing her since 1980" is not correct because the verb KNOW cannot be used in continuous tenses.

If you want to express the idea, you can say "I have known her since 1980".
    Like present perfect continuous, present perfect can also express Duration ( an action started in the past and still continuing).

You should also bear in mind that Present Simple cannot express Duration. So you cannot say,
    # I know her since 1980.
    # We are friends since 1980.
    The second sentence should be "We have been friends ...." because the verb To Be annot be used in perfect continuous tense. So, the only option is Present Perfect.

Verbs with similar behaviour include: believe, understand, like, love etc. If still in confusion, let me know later

mfhaq77

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Smile Re: know

"I have been knowing her since 1980" is not correct because the verb KNOW cannot be used in continuous tenses.
    If you want to express the idea, you can say "I have known her since 1980".
    Like present perfect continuous, present perfect can also express Duration ( an action started in the past and still continuing).
    You should also bear in mind that Present Simple cannot express Duration. So you cannot say,
    # I know her since 1980.
    # We are friends since 1980.
    The second sentence should be "We have been friends ...." because the verb To Be annot be used in perfect continuous tense. So, the only option is Present Perfect.
    Verbs with similar behaviour include: believe, understand, like, love etc. If still in confusion, let me know later
    mfhaq77