1. suzana

Wink please help me

I would like to ask you what is the difference between other, the other, another and others. When do we use it?Please can you help me?Thank you.

Re: please help me

Quote Originally Posted by suzana View Post
    I would like to ask you what is the difference between other, the other, another and others. When do we use it?Please can you help me?Thank you.

Generally speaking, 'other' and 'another' mean singular; 'others' means plural.

Examples:

I had two books left, so I gave one of them to John and the other one to Suzana. (The second book.)
    I've met one of Suzana's two sisters, but not the other one. (The other sister.)
    I've tried to explain it many times, but other than that, I don't know what to say. (In opposition to the previous explanations.)

Mrs. Simon dropped her fork, so she asked the waitress for another one. (A clean fork.)
    Georgette was not satisfied with the doctor's prognosis, so she went to another doctor for a second opinion. (A different doctor.)
    Would you like another piece of cake? (One more piece of cake.)

I can't decide which shirt to buy, do you have any others to show me? (More shirts.)
    Harry finished his test long before the others. (The other sudents.)
    Others have also told me I look younger than my age. (Other people.)