• Post Thanks / Like

Question use of it

Hi,Customer was not able to use his/its computerwhat should be used if we don't want to mention any sex here. or with neutral words.Help me out in understanding this.also Is it correct to say "I am not understanding." I think understanding is a noun.thanks byesunil kr(India)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: use of it

NEVER use "its" to mean a person, this would be very insulting in English.

The older style is to say, "The customer is having trouble with his computer."

The new, gender-neutral style is to say, "The customer is having trouble with their computer."

"I am not understanding [direct object]" (what you are saying) (this book) (these directions) is acceptable, but less common than, "I do not understand (either with or without an object)." This is the best way to communicate that you do not understand something.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Maltese
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    "I am not understanding [direct object]" (what you are saying) (this book) (these directions) is acceptable, but less common than, "I do not understand (either with or without an object)." This is the best way to communicate that you do not understand something.
    I always thought that 'understand' was a non-progressive verb.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I see your point. Why say, "He is understanding me," when "He understands me," expresses the same thing. Understanding [gerund] can be an instantaneous or a continuous process. If it can be a continuous process, people can, and will attach an ...ing ending to it to emphasize the continuing nature of the understanding.